Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandmannd

Protesters

149 posts in this topic

OK, so I've been too busy playing Mario Kart to see much of the Dem Convention. Has there been a lot of protesters at this one? Just curious cause I know there are a lot planning on the Rep Convention. I don't really get the protesting, I personally think it's a waste of time. But if it makes you feel better, it's your choice.

If you're perfectly happy with everything then protesting is a waste of time. Otherwise, how do you get your message heard?

Way more in Denver than will be in St. Paul.

If I put money down, more news media members are going to see the long end of a night stick, verses protestors.

You might get heard on the news, paid attention too? Well I don't see that it affects much of anything. Other than I think you are looney to sit there and get locked up like your little crayon sign matters. Your voice comes into play at the voting booth. Other than that, if you want changes made, go the right way and get a group, go see representatives and go through your channels. I haven't seen much good come from chainging yourselves to doors, or chanting that Bush sucks. You can get more done if you sit down and talk like adults rather than throughing a tantrum like a two year old.

There are a lot of folks not like yourself who are unwilling to simply fall into line. I personally admire someone who is willing to go to jail for what the believe. To me, it shows true conviction.

I never said I would fall in line and I do stand up for what I believe. Tell me though, what exactly does going to jail for what you believe get you?

Sandmann - I think we finally agree on something. And Kidd it does show true conviction. But it doesn't accomplish anything. Your message doesn't get heard when the people that hold power don't listen.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of being free to protest the gov't, the pres, or anything else you might want. I am glad this isn't China.

But,....

You can stand on a street corner all day holding a sign near the RNC saying "Bring the Troops Home" and you can get 100000 of your friends standing there with similar signs. When the pres drives by in his limo, I don't think he is gonna say, "Darn, I hadn't thought of that idea before and there seems to be a lot of people with that idea, maybe I should look into that option."

At best you can get arrested, make bail, and think you accomplished something.

I never said I would fall in line and I do stand up for what I believe. Tell me though, what exactly does going to jail for what you believe get you?

It got me broke, I use to believe in driving after drinking, but that was and is a big no no..... grin

Your message doesn't get heard when the people that hold power don't listen.

This country was founded on civil disobedience.

I'm not advocating protesting to a point where you leave no option other than getting locked up, but we are here talking about it, so it obviously does have an impact and your message will be heard on the nightly news cast. smile

Originally Posted By: Johnny_Da_Der
Your message doesn't get heard when the people that hold power don't listen.

This country was founded on civil disobedience.

I'm not advocating protesting to a point where you leave no option other than getting locked up, but we are here talking about it, so it obviously does have an impact and your message will be heard on the nightly news cast. smile

Yep, and people with a level head watching the news will just shake there heads and say "What a bunch of idiots!!"

Well, I'm glad you and all the other level headed people weren't around in 1775 or we'd still be paying taxes to the Queen.

Big difference, they weren't doing it to mug for the camera. And I don't think they were just sitting around with signs saying "The Queen must go"

I heard today that one of the first protest will be a combined "critical mass" demonstration this Friday in Minneapolis.

Others sound interesting with blockading Minneapolis City Hall to divert resources from Saint Paul.

Well, I'm glad you and all the other level headed people weren't around in 1775 or we'd still be paying taxes to the Queen.

I wonder.....were those paid professional protesters bussed in from other States as well ??

The democrates will have way more protesters then the republicans. We republicans have the thing called work. coolIt is a totally crazy concept. You get up a 5 or 6am, drive to a place, where others are going too. Then you might be a break around 10, and you take a lunch. THen you take another break, try to wrap it up, and go home to the wife and kids.

The really crazy thing is you do this for like 5 whole days in a row! I even hear you some put in this thing called overtime or they are paid the same amount per week, no matter how many hours they work! ahhhhhh don't tell our protesting democratic friends! They might run in fear, ohhh no!!!!I have to pay taxes, and what! I need a job to get health care? No way man, I want to chill with my bros, smoke up, get arested, and fight the system! But I will need to get back in time for attend college. I am getting my 100th masters and going on 15 years in school. And no I am not a doctor....

Good catch Kidd !!

Who is Ariel Nelson ??

And how would he/she know more about Obama plan than Obama ?

No reply necessary. Just more useless knowledge.

Take a day or two off work unpaid go protest against "The Man".

Then blame Bush cuz you're short on rent at end of the month.

you guys are buying this stuff? both these conventions are shows to pull the wool over people's eyes. this week its the dems time to bull us. next week its the repubs. never believe what a candidate tells you while running for prez.

tacklejunkie, you've been active today. Must have finished cleaning all those Alaskan fish eh?

tacklejunkie, you've been active today. Must have finished cleaning all those Alaskan fish eh?

and smoking, and eating, and giving them away. nothing beats fresh alaskan salmon. my cholesterol is a little high so fish meals are perfect