Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
USPENAMC

WHERE ARE YOU HEADED THIS BOW OPENER??

61 posts in this topic

Hey guys its fast approaching I tried counting sheep to go to sleep and big racked deer kept me awake ha ha.

well i have a few options all public land and am trying to get insight where would you go?

CARLOS AVERY-good sign but this year have yet to see a deer.

RUM RIVER/MILLE LACS WMA- havent had the chance to drive up there yet so havent scouted but i know the areas and usually set up in the same place during rifle season. would like to try my luck bowhunting it

PRESTON AREA- near 52 (ISONOURS) never been there dont know the area but im always up for something different and a change in scenery.

Out of these 3 where would you personally go? Or do you go to any of these places? Maybe ill see some of you around?

just to mention im not a PRIZE TROPHY hunter so thats not my main priority. My main priority for a few years now is to get my 15 year old brother his first deer. im looking more into quantity of deer than quality. Just an opportunity to take a doe, cull the herd, so any tips on these areas would be great too.

I would probably choose some where I am familiar w/. Not sure which has a higher doe population. just a guess but I'd stay north. maybe look at fire arm zones and figure out if the 3 places are in the intensive, managed, or lottery areas. Good luck; hope ya can stick one.

cool yeah 1 is intensive i think the other two are management GAS PRICES havent let me do tooo much traveling i will have to check out those places this coming weekend or something.

anyone else?

You'll be hard pressed to find more deer than SE MN. Besides, sometimes it good to see some new country.

The Mille Lacs WMA has a good population also. I would say base your decision on the type terrain you want to hunt. Hilly and Ag - Preston. Flat and densly wooded - Mille Lacs.

I hunt both those areas. They are both fine.

Don't be too jealous. If it's hot, I'm going to get a lot of work done and put up approx 50-70 no hunting and tres. signs along the fence lines and through the woods. Thats a day and a half job.

If I had enough land to warrant putting up 50-70 no hunting signs and take a day/half to do it I wouldn't be jealous one bit.

I'll be up in Frazee on 110 ac. Good luck to all.

not going to make the opener again this year. will be helping with the capable partners deer hunt at LQP. well worth it to miss the opener to hunt with these great people.

Helping with the Capable Partners is better than going hunting yourself. I help with a handicapped hunt in North Dakota and there is nothing better than the smile on their face when they harvest a deer.

Good luck on your hunt.

Great goin 30 inch,I'll be across the road from home till bird hunters show up,This year first deer in range gets the air let out.Lots of work to do start a new house this spring,I enjoy eating deer,Thats my goal a deer to eat.

Probably heading up to our shack near Bigfork. Setting up some trail camera's up there tonight. Going to spend the night up there tonight to break it in for the year. Should be fun...hopefully the high for opener is in the 50's. smile

Will be around home, have to wait until the thursday after to chase a 180+. Seen him a couple times, hope he stays around and gives one of us a shot at him.

I only have a couple days to hunt around home, St. Cloud, then off to Idaho for an elk hunting trip.

Metro. I can hunt at the nature preserve at my workplace. Then MBRB, then maybe up at my Pine County land. I'm overstocked with places to hunt.

Won't be able to hunt the morning but the evening I will head to my "honey hole" bean field near Elk River where the deer file out one after another......or it seems like they do smirkgrin

I may have to wait till Sunday evening, since my sister is getting married the Saturday of opener....worst part is he is a hunter too???? THe control women have over us frightnens me.. eek

I may have to wait till Sunday evening, since my sister is getting married the Saturday of opener....worst part is he is a hunter too???? THe control women have over us frightnens me.. eek

That just automatically ruins opener every year . eek Why would you even consider getting married in the fall? Jan-Aug is plenty of time for weddings.

Anyway I'll be hunting a new spot right near home this year, my first year bowhunting smile

we will be hunting sturgeon lake/denham area. cant

wait to get going!

randy

will be up by Crosby, gonna grouse hunt sat morning and then try to get in the stand by 2.

The bday is the night before opener so ill miss it again but ill be out sunday eve on some public land near my house, i saw a few doe there the other night so im hoping they bring the big boy with them.

good luck to all i still have to decide ill do it last minute i guess it will keep me doing something besides thinking how far opener SEEMS.