• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WHERE ARE YOU HEADED THIS BOW OPENER??

USPENAMC

Hey guys its fast approaching I tried counting sheep to go to sleep and big racked deer kept me awake ha ha.

well i have a few options all public land and am trying to get insight where would you go?

CARLOS AVERY-good sign but this year have yet to see a deer.

RUM RIVER/MILLE LACS WMA- havent had the chance to drive up there yet so havent scouted but i know the areas and usually set up in the same place during rifle season. would like to try my luck bowhunting it

PRESTON AREA- near 52 (ISONOURS) never been there dont know the area but im always up for something different and a change in scenery.

Out of these 3 where would you personally go? Or do you go to any of these places? Maybe ill see some of you around?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to mention im not a PRIZE TROPHY hunter so thats not my main priority. My main priority for a few years now is to get my 15 year old brother his first deer. im looking more into quantity of deer than quality. Just an opportunity to take a doe, cull the herd, so any tips on these areas would be great too.

I would probably choose some where I am familiar w/. Not sure which has a higher doe population. just a guess but I'd stay north. maybe look at fire arm zones and figure out if the 3 places are in the intensive, managed, or lottery areas. Good luck; hope ya can stick one.

cool yeah 1 is intensive i think the other two are management GAS PRICES havent let me do tooo much traveling i will have to check out those places this coming weekend or something.

anyone else?

You'll be hard pressed to find more deer than SE MN. Besides, sometimes it good to see some new country.

The Mille Lacs WMA has a good population also. I would say base your decision on the type terrain you want to hunt. Hilly and Ag - Preston. Flat and densly wooded - Mille Lacs.

I hunt both those areas. They are both fine.

Helping with the Capable Partners is better than going hunting yourself. I help with a handicapped hunt in North Dakota and there is nothing better than the smile on their face when they harvest a deer.

Good luck on your hunt.

Great goin 30 inch,I'll be across the road from home till bird hunters show up,This year first deer in range gets the air let out.Lots of work to do start a new house this spring,I enjoy eating deer,Thats my goal a deer to eat.

Probably heading up to our shack near Bigfork. Setting up some trail camera's up there tonight. Going to spend the night up there tonight to break it in for the year. Should be fun...hopefully the high for opener is in the 50's. smile

I may have to wait till Sunday evening, since my sister is getting married the Saturday of opener....worst part is he is a hunter too???? THe control women have over us frightnens me.. eek

That just automatically ruins opener every year . eek Why would you even consider getting married in the fall? Jan-Aug is plenty of time for weddings.

Anyway I'll be hunting a new spot right near home this year, my first year bowhunting smile