• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Busch and Edwards have to play nice

jwhjr

This ought to get things going a little more...

Busch, Edwards placed on probation for Bristol antics

By NASCAR.COM

August 27, 2008

12:07 PM EDT

-NASCAR announced on Wednesday that it has placed Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards on probation for the next six races in the Sprint Cup Series, as a result of their on-track incident Saturday night at the conclusion of the race at Bristol.

Busch and Edwards violated Section 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing; hitting another competitor's car after the race had concluded) of the 2008 NASCAR rule book.

The probation takes effect beginning with this weekend's event at Fontana, Calif.

Executing an adroit bump and run on Lap 470, Edwards passed for the lead and pulled away over the final 30 laps, winning by 1.969 seconds over Busch.

"It's one of those deals where I couldn't get by him, I couldn't get by him, and I just had to ask myself, 'Would he do that to me?' Edwards said after doing his trademark backflip off the car in Victory Lane. "And he has before, so that's the way it goes.''

Unhappy with the way Edwards passed him for the lead, Busch bumped Edwards' No. 99 Ford after the checkered flag. Edwards bumped back, and Busch's No. 18 Toyota went spinning (watch video).

"He'll always come back and say he's sorry," Busch said. "He did it at Milwaukee and he's done it a few other times. It's just his normal fashion. That's fine. I've grown to know that now.

"You know, to pass a guy, to hit him getting into the corners ... is very tired. But that's what he did. ... I had been getting into the corner light all day, and I don't know, maybe I over-braked and drove myself right back into his nose."

NASCAR summoned Busch to the sanctioning body's transporter after the race.

"Let's make it real clear -- I'm not apologizing for it," Edwards said, citing several instances where he felt like Busch took him out of races to gain positions. "We're even.

"They keep talking about rivalries,'' Edwards added. "We might have one now.''

Now this is just not right in my mind Busch has gotten away with takin alot of people out of races all year and one little bump at bristol by Edwards to get by him and nascar puts them both on probation.Busch should of been on probation way back after the 4 race of the season when his stupid driving took out allmost half the field.All i can say is bristol has allways been a bangum up race track if your slow a little bump to get you out of the way should be ok as long as your not putting someone into the wall been that way allways will be.To put Edwards on probation in my mind was a big mistake by nascar he did nothing wrong the rat came affter him after the race ended like the rat poor driver he is.

Then I have to ask why The Rat wasn't placed on probation after he purposely spun the #88 on the last lap at Richmond? If not probation, at least a black flag for rough driving at the time of the incident?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the contact during the race that got Carl in trouble (or shrub for that matter). It was Carl spinning him out after prickly bush ran into him on the cool down lap. I heard him on the radio yesterday saying he fully expected a penalty for that and didn't disagree that he'd deserve one.

I thought the whole thing was great! Did you hear the crowd go nuts when it happened? Now that is racing. Give the fans what they want. I guess I don't think anybody should be penalized. I just thought it was good PR.

It was good PR thats why they did it.

If they had not done anything and let it fly no one would be talking about it 5 days after it happened and they also waiting until Wed. to hand out the news. In the past we hear about it on Tuesday?

Nascar needs somthing for the fans to talk about right now in a year where the cars are junk (IMO) and the big name guy's are struggeling the ratings are down attendance is down Nascar needs something to help them threw the "down time" and get the fans pumped up about the chase.

There is my 2 cents.

Sifty

I thought the mantra at the beginning of the season for NASCAR was to let boys be boys? They wanted to spice it up a little due to their plummeting ratings and attendance.

My dad was at the Bristol race(s) this past weekend and it sounds like he had a blast at his first NASCAR event. I had the opportunity to go and passed on it for various reasons. I dozed off during the race so it's not the Bristol of old that's for sure. It still would have been a hoot.

Originally Posted By: NAPAFISH
Everybody knows Carl is a dink. Just ask Matt Kenseth

Carl's darn lucky Ol Matty did'nt slap the tar outta him !!

Carls a pretty big, athletic guy. Matts fairly skinny. I don't actually think too many guys would mess with Edwards that race with him.

Ol, Matty will have Carl doing back flips alright.

Whoopin a man aint nuthin to him !!

I dont care who ya are now that theres funny! Two times come to mind--- the look on Matty's face when Little Jeffey pushed him and the same look when Couzin Carl faked like he was gonna put an A$$ whopin on em grin