• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is the canoe becoming an endangered species??

It just seems that everywhere I go lately, be it in the sporting goods stores or on the lakes, kayaks are outnumbering canoes by a large margin. MN is the heart of canoe country, but even up in the Boundary Waters I'm seeing more kayak trekkers. Not that that's a bad thing, just an interesting observation. I picked up an issue of Kayak Angler and was amazed at all the different kayak models out there, the coastal areas of the US looks like they are leading the way in kayak use, and I think it's only a matter of time before the Midwest catches up.

What do you guys and gals think is the biggest factor or factors for this recent kayak popularity???

Kayaks are one person operational. Not that canoes cannot be, but you need a solo canoe or go through some hassle to make a tandem canoe work for you.

Personally I will always be a canoe person. I plan on buying a solo in the next couple years to add to the two I already have.

I prefer the load capacity and openness of a canoe which usually are opposite compromises in a kayak. I will probably own a kayak too, someday, but I prefer the canoe.

For me I like how they sit closer to the water, although at some point in the next year or so I will probably buy a solo canoe for fishing. I also think there is a mistaken idea that canoes are heavier or less maneuverable, which is actually something I discovered wasn't true after the yaks were bought.

As far as trends on the coast go, the sit-on tops let you go places you just can't go in a canoe due to the waves/surf, which is why the guys on the coast fish them. Why you don't see more SOT yaks here is beyond me. There is nothing like paddling through 4 foot surf in a sit-on-top. And of course, midwesterners like me feel the need to be as trendy as the clowns on the coast so we buy kayaks.

The canoe will be around for ages. They are easy to use, hold a ton of gear, and are so incredibly lightweight.

Kayaks are making tremendous inroads for many of the reasons you mentioned. SOT kayaks can be rigged really nice for fishing, have internal storage, and paddle and fish great.

I think what you are seeing is a resurgence in the popularity of non motorized craft for fishing. I know a lot of people who sold their boat for a non motorized kayak or canoe. It does most of what they need the big boat to do, but allows them to get some exercise and to save a ton of money.

The kayaks you see aren't to replace canoes, but to take advantage of the popularity of motorless fishing.

I think the Olympics and now days the advertising make them popular,the price also.

40 yrs ago my first yak was homemade,If I even found one for sale back then it was priced 10 times the cost of canoes.I could'nt afford a canoe back then but the 40 bucks for a plan and materials was OK.I think the plan was out of sports afield? or outdoor life.

It worked but my craftsmanship was poor I was unexperienced,but I did build a nonleaking,bad tracking,lightweight yak.

I doubt they'll ever replace the canoe in the BWCA. Not easy enough to store gear in packs, which makes portaging a pain. The plus side of them are they don't ship water in big waves as easily as a canoe, unless you have a spray skirt on your canoe. I do like the paddles and use them in my canoes. A guy can make some better time with a kayak paddle than with a canoe paddle.