• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which range finder?

youngie22

looking at getting a new rangefinder; wondering if any one has any strong feeling either way about anything. I guess I would love it to be inexpensive, but it also needs to be waterproof and have the angle compensation technology. I have looked around at a few but have not been very satisified w/ slection. anyone know of a good place to find the "right one", or at least a good selection w/ knowledgable staff? I am planning on stopping at cabelas tomorrow sometime to pick up some essential items only caried there. thanx guys; hope you can come up with some good suggestions.

I just picked up the Nikon Prostaff 550 for about $200 and it is real clear and easy to use, if you want the angle compensation buy the Archers choice by Nikon about $250, I would have bought that one, but that only reads out to 100 yards. I wanted one for Varmit hunting also.

As far as angle compensation that would be nice, but range some stuff off before you get to your stand or when you are siting in your stand look for trees that are next to the trails you think deer will be near and range them at the level you are sitting at, horizontal yardage is what you want to shoot at even if you are 25 feet up in the tree, if the deer is 10 yards form your tree it is a 10 yard shot.

I have the Leupold RX-II and have been happy with it so far. Some don't like it because it has a lot of options so the view can get cluttered or confusing. I only use it for archery and leave it set accordingly. The angle compensation is generally only a couple yards 20' up a tree so it is really not that big of a deal. It is nice to know though.

Yeah, if you are shooting a well tuned, fast setup, a couple yards isn't going to make that big of a difference in pin placement on the target. Remember the "bulleye" on a deer is alot bigger than a paper target wink

archers choice only to 100 yds??? would not have guessed that they would make one like that. Does the technology make it more accurate than other range finders in the 10- 90yd range? I was kind of leaning towards that one, but not likely anymore. would like to use w/ firearms too.

Ever heard of a Archer Range range finder. I had been looking into cheaper models of range finders as well. I found it for $56 delivered to my door. (BTW- I am not part of the company) I just received it today so I will go out and check it tonight. I have yardages marked out from the base of my practice stand out to 45 yds. One thing I was not aware of when I bought this is that it only works from a stand height. It works off of distance from base of tree to mid chest height and then the angle to the target ranging. Check their web site out if you want. add a .com to the end of the name. I will give my report in the morning or maybe tonight. BTW- I am a newbie to bowhunting and I am cheap as he ll!

Ryan

I tried out the Archer Range range finder last night. I only had a few minutes to work with it but it preformed as promissed by the reviews. It is definately not a laser rangefinder but I did not need a expensive rangefinder as of yet. I tried it at a known distance of 40yds and it was within a yard of what I had already known the yardage to be. I think it will work fine.

Ryan