• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any new products out there this year?

aquafang

I personally anticipate fewer new "Big Splash" items this season as a whole...due to the economy. The few that are likely to pop out were well into development prior to 08/09 season.

I would expect to see some enhancements and accessories on already existing product lines as a trend for 09 ice season.

I think your right about that. I have had three flashers in the last 5 years. I now have a FL18 and I realy dont think I need to upgrade. You can see all the fish you want, but you still have to catch them.

I think I see a business opportunity... The camera/flasher that catches fish. Put it on Beer mode, and let it do all the work. I will be rich, rich, rich....

Originally Posted By: only ice
I think your right about that. I have had three flashers in the last 5 years. I now have a FL18 and I realy dont think I need to upgrade. You can see all the fish you want, but you still have to catch them.

I think I see a business opportunity... The camera/flasher that catches fish. Put it on Beer mode, and let it do all the work. I will be rich, rich, rich....

were do I get pick mine up?

Some things that I would like to see some product development include:

1) Superline (braid/fused/fireline) that did not ice up in cold weather. Unless you are in a warmed shack, using these lines outdoors are pretty useless because they get iced up so bad and the ice is difficult to remove in the cold. I like the sensitivity they provide and fewer line twist issues, tried floro but it can be pretty stiff on the small spools of ice reels (so want to spring off) - and tend to be more prone to line twists.

2) More options for storing gear and carrying gear that have sufficient protection for your expensive rods, and can handle up to six of them. Stone Legacy revolution seems to have one of the better ones, but would be nice to have more options. Marcum too a stab at it last year, but unfortunately they had a lot of issues with their reliabilty/durability.

3) I tend to use a lot of rods & hole hop on the open ice so I don't have to retry every time I want to try a diffrent presentation. Rod Handler has an okay design to carry about 5 rods easily from hole to hole - problem is that the holders are WAY TOO SMALL for most cork handles that are standard on most ice rods so you can't use it. Need to improve it for larger handles, or have others come up with more options for the hole hopping many rods guys.

4) Love St. Croix legend rods ... They need a design with a longer rod blank and bigger guides for when you are fishing on the open ice.

5) More 4 stroke options than just the strike lite. Suprised that Jiffy & Eskimo have not countered with their own 4 stroke version.

6) Lighter on-man flip over design. The FT Scouts are about the right weight, but I find them too small for all the gear, heaters, flashers etc. I prefer the FT Pro size, but think it would be better if they could find a way to cut the weight down more for those that haul by hand.

7) Solutions for med-large portables that make it easier to pull thru snow by hand (include runners and harnesses). For people withouts sleds/4 wheelers. Hyfax runners help, but in deep snow you still end up plowing thru it.

I'm sure I could think of a bunch more, but this would be a good start.

Can't wait Matt, thanks for the heads up ... Only had my current FT Pro for 2 season so may be hard to justify replacing this season - if they turn out to be must haves than maybe I'll get lucky and catch one at the end of season clearances.

I am bias towards the sled/flip over design. Eskimo has some pretty slick popups that I think is the style you are referring to.

Bobb-o, do you know the date of the TB GTG? Thanks for the tip, I'll be out there if it's open on the calendar.

Going to TB is always dangerous for me, I should be okay if I don't talk to Matt :-) Being the impulsive fish gear buyer that I am, it doesn't take much for him to talk me into buying the latest hot items.

I would love to see some weight cut out of my sled. I do a 1 man porty, and it gets heavy pretty quick.

How about a self pulling sled? They make 12 volt golf carts for carrying clubs, why not something on tracks to pull the portable?

Gee, did I just give away a million dollar idea? laugh

Originally Posted By: Chode2235
I would love to see some weight cut out of my sled. I do a 1 man porty, and it gets heavy pretty quick.

How about a self pulling sled? They make 12 volt golf carts for carrying clubs, why not something on tracks to pull the portable?

Gee, did I just give away a million dollar idea? laugh

hmmmmm