• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Of fritillaries, broadwings and wild rice.....

Steve and I took a ride down the Tomahawk looking for moose. Unfortunately, the biggest mammal we saw was a skunk! Steve wanted to chase it through the woods to get a photo, but I told him if he got sprayed he'd have to ride on the canoe carriers. He then thought better of it! grin

So, we got some shots of a few things:

Fritillaries:

ST2.jpg

ST4.jpg

Broadwing hawks:

ST5.jpg

And wild rice:

ST6.jpg

Maybe moose next time!

Here's my batch.

Skunk shmunk. winkwink

The Atlantis fritillaries on joe-pye-weed and the lettuce were shot with the Canon 100 f2.8 macro, the river landscape with the Canon 70-200 f2.8L and the broad-winged hawk with the Canon 400 f5.6L (the tighter hawk shot included the Canon 1.4 TC).

BTW, Ken, the pale yellow flowers you found are turtlehead. The purple ones I found are bottle gentian.

White lettuce (pink form)

2801367327_4ac751e1d9_o.jpg

2801365027_6eebef1a62_o.jpg

2801363697_2c21ced2d9_o.jpg

2802214556_aca0ee3c3a_o.jpg

2801361453_6ba815768d_o.jpg

2802210190_2be702496a_o.jpg

2801360113_d14575bb72_o.jpg

Stood about 8 feet tall. Is this a highbush cranberry?

2802245866_9772a22e80_o.jpg

Nice shots guys!...I think that last shot certainly is a "high bush cranberry" Steve...I used to pick em as a kid and make cranberry jelly...berries have a 3 sided stone in em if I remember right...sour little guys grin............I'm noticing fewer butterflies this summer...especially Monarchs....I saw 2 frittilaries this last weekend and last year at this same time I saw "tons" of both species....after checking,the butterfly experts noted that the cold weird spring killed alot and kept thousands from heading to their northern migration areas ....I've seen about 4-5 monarchs so far this entire summer...I did see a "mourning cloak" this past weekend....maybe this upcoming weekend..maybe grin

Thanks for posting the picture of the white lettuce!! I seen this the other day and have been searching the web trying to ID it since. Low and behold, I find out what it is on FM!

You actually helped me ID two plants. White lettuce and rough white lettuce.

Man! ...those sure look like high bush cranberries to me Ken grin...did a lot of checking and the leaves have the classic 3 sharp lobes...really are the giveaway...the pic here is of the unripened stage and only a few berries not the full "cluster"....Steve's "white lettuce" is also known as "Rattlesnake Root"...that's the name I've always associated with that particular plant....I too always wondered where the word "lettuce" has anything to do with that plant grin...here's a version of the same plant...

Frame_P1040690-6.JPG

Geez, guys, I'll sure stand down on the expert opinions here and accept that the red (ish) berries are high bush cranberries. I may have to make a trip there just before Thanksgiving!

My take on the white lettuce:

ST8.jpg

And what could be better than a fritallary?

ST7.jpg

How 'bout TWO fritallaries!

ST9.jpg