• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many pins are you using?

Swill

Just got back in from target shooting. I have 5 pins set up at 10 yards each. A 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards.

Is that a normal set up?

Also, was there not a simple rule of thumb when you have to more or adjust your pins? I seem to be accurate right now, but it would be go to know.

Thanks

I shoot 3 pins, 10, 20, 30 yards, it all depends on how comfortable you are with shooting your bow, and how many pins you can keep track of. Generally when I sight in if the group I'm shooting is high to the left, I move the sight up and to the left accordingly. SO it is pretty much opposite thinking, if your group needs to go up move the sight down, if it needs to go right move your sight left and so on. Others may have different techniques, but that's what I use.

I have not used more than 1 pin for many years. It also depends on how new and fast your bow is for shooting only 1 pin.

I had my old Mathews set up to shoot 1 pin from 10-28 yards. I knew the bow very well and did practice with it quite a bit so if the deer was out there a bit farther I would just raise the pin a bit.

When I have went out west hunting more in open range, then I have used a 3 pin sight for shots farther away but for hunting in a wooded environment, 1 pin works fine for me.

Alot depends on the weight of the arrow for flatter shooting at longer distances.

I just bought a new Mathews DXT and will again shoot my pendelum sight. If I have shot 60 deer with my bow, I would wager that the majority were within 25 yards. if they were not, I just let them walk a little closer.

Shoot the bow and learn what it will do at different ranges and then go from there. The one thing I never cared for was 5 pins standing there as I always had to figure out which one I wanted to use. Never had a issue with just 1.

I took one pin out of my five pin sight. 20-50 yards.

Follow the arrow as far as moving your sights.

You could skip the 10 yard pin as there should be very little difference between 10 and 20 yard pin. That way you won't have two pins stacked right on top of each other.

One thing about multiple pins it takes the some of the guess work out of it.

I have mine at 10-20-30-40. I had a 50-60 when I went out west for elk, but would never shoot at a whitetail that far.

Anything beyond about 25 and I would not feel comfortable without a rangefinder.

Most will tell you that you don't need a 10 pin, but at close shots from a treestand your 20 pin will not even be on the animal. Most people with only a 20 pin will shoot over that deer or worse, hit it high and never see it again. Yes that does sound like the voice of experience talking, and for good reason...

If you are shooting low poundage or a slow bow you might need a 10 yard pin. With my setup my 20 yard pin hits maybe an inch and a half high at 10 yards. It not hard to compensate and at that short of range 1 inch isnt a huge difference.

When one talks about shooting high at 10 yards with a pin set at 20 yards is why I use a pendulum as it adjusts for the shorter range or degree of angle depending on how high you are up in a tree.

I realize that very few archers use a pendulum sight but for hunting in a woods and up in a tree, I cannot see how it can be beat.

If I hunted from a treestand I'd definately go with the pendulum sight. It's pretty much dummy proof is it not?

I know a lot of guys that shoot comfortably out to 80 yards. For me, under ideal conditions, I'd shoot at 50 yards without hesitation.

Lots of different sights out there. Pick what you like and what will work for your style of hunting.

You're right Koonie. When one shoots ones bow and learns what it can do, the model sight really does not matter.

I have used many different sights and for me, the pendulum is fool proof for different ranges and angle of the shot.

My pins are set at 20-30-40-50 but I don't like shooting to 50 at anything other than a target and rarely shoot at 40 yard unless the deer is very calm/feeding. Too many things can go wrong and most of the time it is better to wait for a more ethical shot.

If you are shooting low poundage or a slow bow you might need a 10 yard pin. With my setup my 20 yard pin hits maybe an inch and a half high at 10 yards. It not hard to compensate and at that short of range 1 inch isnt a huge difference.

On level ground you are probably right about 1" high at 10 yards, but if a deer is 10 yards or less, from a tree stand your 20 pin will probably hit 6" high or more! Just practice those shots first so you KNOW.

I have 3 pins, the first one out to about 26-27 yards and then at 30 and 40. I shoot a Bear Truth, which is pretty fast. To me bowhunting isn't about how far, but rather about how close. So most of my practice shots are between 15 and 25 yards.

I don't shoot an exceptionally fast bow...last time I checked it it was shooting 275 fps and I only use two pins, one for 15 and one for 30, won't shoot at a deer much beyond that, I see no reason to clutter up my sight with too many pins, too many things to think about when that big boy steps out anyway!

I'll take 0. I shoot trad, so no pins.

On my compounds I had 3 durring 3d season 0-30, 40, 50. Durring hunting conditions I dropped the bottom 2 pins so I would not be tempted to take a poke at a deer that far out. Too much can happen in the length of time it takes an arrow to travel that far. The change in drop was a total of 2.5 inches from 10-30 yards so I zeroed that pin for 20 and went from there.

Don't try to keep up with the jones's. Just shoot what works with you.

I use a single pin slider. I leave it locked at 20 unless I need to move it. So far that hasn't happened. I haven't shot a deer more than 20 yds away yet.

I totally agree that people need to practice elevated shots. Not only to adjust for the angle, but to also practice the form when in a stand. Bend at the waist, not the shoulders.

Matthews Switchback XT, set at 10-20-30. I am now comfortable with a 30 yard shot, but am much more comfident inside 20. I've never had to think about taking a long shot, it seems my deer are usually in the woods and pretty close. I know that when target practicing, the slightest flinch or error at 30 is much more exagerated than at 20 or less.

I think only the hunter knows what his or her shot limit is. I don't feel comfortable outside of 30 and would therefor deem shots greater than 30 unethical. I know people that routinely practice at 60 and can hit there consistently. Their ethical shot distance is probably a lot longer than mine. Assuming of course that the weapon of choice can get the job done at that range.

Good Question.

Who defines the ethical shot distance?

The person taking the shot. Personaly, 30 yards or so is my mark. It may not look it, but the length of time the arrow is in the air to fly 30+ yards is a long time. A lot can happen from the time of the release to the impact. A step either direction, a "jumped string", these are all things I am not willing to risk. When I have pushed the limits I have regretted it.

We learn more from our mistakes. I used mine and some other peoples to form my "ethical" ranges. Not that it maters, most of my deer kills have been less than 10 yards away.

FYI: I do most of my practicing at 35+ yards so when a deer does step up at 17 it feels like a gimmy.