• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jump shooting early season

How many acually use this method for hunting them tricky birds. I've had good results with my 4wheeler and 8ft jonboat (EARLY IN THE SEASON)hitting a few of the beaver ponds around my gramps lake up in outing. Always end up with woodies, some mallards and the occasional merganser, three years ago I had a flock of 10 geese sitting in and around this huge old beaver hut 10 yards out frm shore and picked one out come back the next day and there they were again it was pretty neat. We used to get nice flocks of ringnecks and bills back a few years ago, but do to the lower water levels all these ponds are drying up and full of lillypads and junk weeds. The divers don't care for thatand WE're thinking they're staying on the bigger lakes.

Always enjoyable though riding around getting a feel for all the hunters and pressure and where the birds are hiding out during the middle of the day. It never fails though sneaking up through the woods to that waters edge and a grouse explodes 5 ft in front of you. Hmmmmm decisions decisions. confused

used to do it a lot more but I guess I'm getting to lazy to do that I give kudos to those that do go around and jump shoot tho I know its hard work paddling around in them weeds/wind. now I just sit and waite and waite and waite some more. when we did it, iot was out of a 17' canoe and it was a blast. If I see some in a ditch I might still walk for em depends on how the waiting went in the morning.

yes and no it's more of an early season thing especially when legal hunting hours end at 4p.m. up until that ends most of my hunting takes place on the bigger lakes out of the boat. Simply because most of the ducks are grouping up and they get pretty tuff to put the sneak on 20 or more pairs of eyes..

If i'm cruising around on the wheeler and see some sitting on a little pond though best believe i'm going to throw a few shells at em and hope for the best.(not throw shells litterally) laugh

I know of the ace there in emily but no otherwise wheres it at and whats the name my grandparents know almost everyone up there. They moved up there in 89 and bought the ice cream shop(owls n things).They sold it about 10 years or so ago now is owned by a very nice women and her husband. Been hunting and fishing and 4wheeling for years up there I know most of the area better than the cities where I live.

Acually am going up after work tonight will have keep my eyes open.

its right as you get into to town right by the northland sports(now closed) and also It's litterally right next to Roosevelt Lumber.

His name is Grandpa Vern Stefan.

Also My uncle Don Stefan owns the outpost there in remer.

If you stop in at either store tell them that Jordy told you to stop in and say hello.

Ok yea I did see that this weekend didn't stop in but I do remeber it's there by the artic cat dealer correct, they closed down huh didn't know that graig i belive his name was, the owner of the dealer. His wife angie owns the roosevelt station. I guess business was slow though with the lack of snow the past few years couldn't sell those sleds. My parents acually got two wheelers there 3 or 4 years ago. While the rest of us drive polaris(go figure).