• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon 50D release is official

The biggest things for me personally would be AI Servo Focus mode #1. Then would come the noise reduction, the ability to have better sync speeds for my 550EX flash, fine tuning my lenses to cooperate with the camera, heck even a view finder I can see out of.

I do plan to keep the trusty old DReb for my little boy. At two he is already wanting to take pictures. When I pull the camera out now instead of posing, he comes and stands in front of my legs and begs for the camera.

Low light focus speeds would be a HUGE improvement for me as well. Shooting at weddings is tough unless it is very well lit. The last wedding I did with any bit of indoor use was shot with a rented 5D. I felt at home with that camera, so hopefully putting together the fundage for a 50D will be possible. Watch out come tax time boys, my participation in here is gonna get fierce if I can get my hands on a new body.

I am hoping to snag a couple shots on Friday Steve. I'll just have to see how it all goes...maiden voyage in my new canoe down a short stretch of the Rum River.

If I do pick up a new body next spring, I will be spending some time at the sidelines at the National Sport Center on week nights shooting soccer games. I have thought about it previously but my current camera just wont cut it over there. I am within walking distance though, so it is a no-brainer.

Just the 70-200 F4L for now. I have used it before and I think it will work well for near end stuff on a 1.6 sensor. It is really fast to focus and super sharp. No problem at all with daylight sports. I wouldn't mind getting another lens when the time is right, but the first thing I would do is rent the ones I want to try to see what fits best.

That's a sweet lens for outdoor sports. You can easily throw a 1.4 TC on it, too, if you need a little more reach, and the f5.6 won't hurt you much outdoors, especially if you shoot at iso800 or 1600, and with the 50D it sounds like those iso settings are going to produce very little noise.

I've shot more than a few soccer games at NSC and I will say that you may find the 70-200 even with a 1.4 TC to be frustratingly short with field sports. I shoot even small kids with a 300 and a 1.4TC and have to wait for the action to make it to the mid line to start shooting.

Its not so much the f5.6 hurting you with light it hurts you with blurring out your background. NSC does not have good backgrounds and they will come into play so to speak. You may find it slows the focus speed down enough to up your throw away rate as well. The 70-200 will work well out to around 50' to 75' which if they are little guys will be usable, its just that a lot of the action especially with younger kids just won't be in the 50' to 75' you want!

If you are interested some time Tom let me know and you can try out a few different lens and body combinations to see how they work for you.

Hey Dan, the next time you are planning to head up for an event there, you might have to give me a call or drop me a line. That would probably be a learning experience nobody should pass up. It would certainly help narrow things down a bit.

I will do that Tom, its been nothing but soccer the last few weeks so I may be winding down a bit with that sport but if you ever have something planned let me know and we will get you hooked up with trying out some equipment. Shooting later in the fall when the leaves change can get you some interesting results. There are some nice fields up your way with very nice fall backdrops.

I think you officially become a sports photography enthusiast when you show up at a field and the first thing you do is look at the backgrounds!