• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon 50D release is official

Here's some info from Canon on the new 50D. Haven't heard about price point yet. One noted Swedish avian photographer got a pre-production body this summer for three days and compared autofocus with his 1D Mk3. He said the 50D is actually a little faster on the focus. We'll see about that.

With 15 Mp on a 1.6 crop sensor, I'm especially interested to see how digital noise looks. I haven't read anything substantive on the noise.

From Canon:

Canon's new EOS 50D bridges the gap between the novice and the seasoned pro with a perfect combination of high-speed and quality. It features an APS-C sized 15.1-megapixel CMOS sensor for tremendous images, new DIGIC 4 Image Processor for fine detail and superior color reproduction, and improved ISO capabilities up to 12800 for uncompromised shooting even in the dimmest situations. It features a refined 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots) monitor, supercharged Live View Function with Face Detection Live mode, plus a number of new automatic Image Correction settings and HDMI output for viewing images on an HDTV.

Features

New 15.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with improved noise reduction, wide range ISO 100-3200 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800), 14-bit conversion for smooth color tones and gradations.

Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing, 6.3 fps up to 90 JPEGS using UDMA CF cards; 60 consecutive JPEGS or 16 RAW using standard CF cards.

3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) with multiple coatings for improved viewing and smudge-resistant protection.

Enhanced Live View shooting includes Face Detection Live mode.

9 cross-type high-precision sensors for accurate target subject acquisition and diagonal center cross-type AF point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

New Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction setting to automatically even the brightness across the image.

Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System with a fluorine coating for better resistance to dust.

Creative Auto goes a step beyond full auto with on screen setting display.

HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) output for displaying full high-resolution images on a High Definition TV.

Compatible with over 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS System accessories.

Exceptional Quality Images.

New 15.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with improved noise reduction, wide range ISO 100-3200 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800), 14-bit conversion for smooth color tones and gradations.

spacer

The EOS 50D features a newly-designed 15.1-megapixel APS-C sized CMOS sensor which is capable of recording up to 4752 x 3168 pixels with full 14-bit A/D conversion for extremely fine tonal gradation. Ready to capture images in an instant, the sensor is designed to work with Canon's EF and EF-S lenses with a conversion factor of 1.6x. It's capable of recording at sensitivities previously too noisy for shooting in low light or subjects in motion. With a maximum ISO rating of 12800 combined with a 4-level High ISO speed noise reduction function, images that would have been impossible without the use of a strobe or flash become simple to record.

DIGIC 4 Image Processor

This next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor offers finer details and even more natural color reproduction, compared with the previous DIGIC III Image Processor. Since Canon's DIGIC 4 chips use advanced signal processing technologies, they provide even faster operations, including write times to UDMA cards. It also enables Face Detection Live mode to detect and focus up to 35 face(s) to capture the best possible shot. Further, DIGIC 4 offers the improved Auto Lighting Optimizer that corrects brightness and contrast automatically, and Peripheral Illumination Correction for up to 40 EF lenses. DIGIC always maximizes performance between the capturing and recording stages of digital photography.

Canon's exclusive Lens Peripheral Illumination setting takes into account any light falloff in the corners of the frame and corrects it, making for a perfectly exposed image. Correction data are detected automatically on a number of Canon EF lenses and can be entered manually through the included Canon EOS Utility software.

Yeah, me and Canon, we're buds! gringringrin

I'm most interested in the noise performance. I've been looking over used 5D bodies, and if Canon continues its price point established with the 30D and 40D, a new 50D would be less expensive than a used 5D, and of course the added 50D features blow away what the 5D has to offer.

Anyway, I'm not going to get excited unless I see test images at high iso that are better than the 40D and close to or better than the 5D.

I just have a hard time believing, even with their new pixel technology, that Canon can pack 15 Mp onto that size sensor and yield a decrease in noise. Well, if anyone can do it, Canon can.

Well, if anyone can do it, Canon can.

C'mon Steve, really? I think you meant to say, if anyone can do it Nikon can. Isn't that what you meant to say? winkwink

It does sound like a nice body, with a little lower price tag than the D300. They're a little slow catching up to Nikon but it looks like they're on their way. grin

The one thing I am a little surprised about is that it is still using CF flash cards and not SD. Is there something better or is it just the format that Canon has decided to stick with. I guess the only reason I ask is I thought I had read that they were going to switch because of the difference in cost.

Well, I for one am glad they're sticking with CF. I've got a lot of money invested in CF cards. Now, if the 50D (or the upcoming 5Dn/6D) accepted both, that'd be great.

Mike, the way I look at it is it's a wonderful time to be a photographer. The horserace between Canon and Nikon, regardless of which brand we choose, has benefited us all, IMO. The race is always changing, and figuring out who's "ahead" is sort of metaphysical anyway.

Digital noise was always Nikon's big downfall. It was only a year or so ago a photographer hardly dared take any Nikon DSLR body past iso400. But within the last year, the D3, D300 and D700 are changing all that. And Nikon's horses are moving VERY fast. If my math is right, they've released/announced all these bodies within the last year or so: D60, D3, D300, D700 and now the D90, and the D90 represents an experimental entry into the world of high definition video. Those are quite some achievements, with full kudos to Nikon for finally catching up and in some key ways passing Canon.

Canon will answer. They always do. Then Nikon will answer back, and technology will keep getting better and better. Gotta love that! gringringrin

In the end, I think most of us, myself included, are limited far more by our own abilities than by the capabilities of our cameras. It still boils down to talent and skill. Talent being the possession of a singular artistic vision. Skill being knowledge of the camera/lens and photography principles and the dexterity to bring that knowledge to bear.

Anyway, no rant intended. Just basically expressing my happiness at being alive and out there taking photographs in this brave new photographic world. smilesmile

Well said Stevo! I was going to say I liked Mikes response (and I did) but then yours was spot on!

For the record, the 50D looks like a nice upgrade and well worth every pennie! I still don't see it being as nice as the D300. grin But then again I might be biased a wee bit.

Steve, your point is exactly why I don't get into brand bashing discussions. They are both very good and anyone would be happy using either brand. I thought I'd get you going a little but you stayed calm cool and collected. I should have expected that. grin

It is a good thing that the 2 brands are moving forward together. The last thing a photog would want to do is switch all his gear to another brand. That could get costly.

Thanks for a nice discussion!

MM, I used to trade barbs with the Nikonians just for fun, but it can get unfun in a hurry if even one person takes it a bit too seriously.

I'm sure I'd be just as fulfilled if I'd chosen Nikon, and I did weigh both carefully when making the switch from film to digital a few years ago, but then the comparison was not even close. If I were making that decision today, it could very well end up going the other way.

No biggie either way. As photographers, we all have a lot of common ground, and I usually prefer to emphasize things we share as people than the things that separate us.

...you stay poe-tay-to, I say poe-tah-to,

you say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to....

or,

a rose by any other name smells just as sweet

The art of photography is bigger than the equipment used to accomplish it!

Well, I for one am glad they're sticking with CF. I've got a lot of money invested in CF cards. Now, if the 50D (or the upcoming 5Dn/6D) accepted both, that'd be great.

I am seriously in need of an upgrade on the camera body and I will be taking a close look at the 50D. It is priced fairly and has what I need. I do agree for the most part that our cameras can handle our capabilities as photographers, except that I am still shooting with the original Digital Rebel and that camera in particular does severely limit my capabilities. There seems to be a rash of 40D's hitting the used market with the announcement of the 50D coming soon. I can probably snag a slightly used one for 800, or just bite the bullet and get the one I will keep for a long long time.

Tom, I agree with you on that, too.

The original DRebel to the 20D-50D series is a whopper of an upgrade. There are times when moving sharply up in features inspires creativity and imagination. It was true when I upgraded from the DRebel to the 20D. It was then that my photography really took off. It will be even more true when you leap to the 40D or 50D.

Lots of fun and excitement coming your way with the upgrade! smilesmile

FWIW, the upgrade from the 10D to 20D was a solid increase in sensor and all-around performance, but upgrades to the 30D and 40D were incremental, IMO, with the 40D perhaps being a bit more significant than the upgrade from 20D to 30D. The upgrade to the 50D, however, will be quite significant from any other camera within the series, and even bigger when coming up from the Rebel series. The 50D's added features put it a couple miles ahead of the 40D, IMO.