Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

Where Will It End?

31 posts in this topic

Dumbing down to the lowest common denominator will eventually destroy us. This is where political correctness leads.

9-year-old boy told he's too good to pitch

Updated: August 25, 2008, 9:30 PM ET

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials with the Youth Baseball League of New Haven say they will disband Jericho Scott's team because his coach won't stop him from pitching.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

The other players facing the 9 year old star would only get better. You play against better competition you get better yourself. 9 year olds can only throw 3 innings in a game.

On the surface, I am outraged.

But the more I think about it, why not just move the kid up a notch? In the end it will be better for both him and the rest of the league. The only way to get better at something is to continually challenge yourself.

Seems like a no-brainer. There shouldn’t be any concern with his parents as to playing with the older kids if his skills are so good.

Do we not do the same thing with kids that are gifted in other disciplines? Bump em up to the next level.

Having said that, I still think it’s ridiculous to make a statement like “He pitches too fast grin

Dumbing down is rampant everywhere.

I have found out the hard way that in the employment place, if one truly wants to excel and advance then you are pegged as a trouble maker. Employers seem to want those who show up just for a paycheck.

I have been looking for employment for almost three months. While I show up in dress pants, others are sitting next to me with shredded pants and a t-shirt yet do you think I can get a single phone call? I am a respectable looking person as well as educated. I am beginning to think this is too much.

Its hard to swim when someone is standing on your head. I feel sorry for that ball player.

I agree with dtro. On the surface I was outraged. But the parents should bump him up to the next level. Certainly a parent would do so if a child was intellectually gifted. The same would be for sports.

It's a shame this has occurred, but in the same breath, he should move on to the next level and continue to improve and excel.

He should stay at the same level he is currently pitching at. This is a fact of life, sometimes you are just not good enough, and he is better.

My son is 6, and he was it t-ball this summer. One practice, the coach decided to put all the outfield and infield in a line, and have them take turns catching / getting the ball. I asked why are they not playing their position, and he said a bunch of fathers complained their kids were not gettin the ball. Huh? He said all the kids would run to the center of the infield and all try to get the ball to throw to 1st base. Heck even the 1st base kid was doing it.

I was upset. It is the parents responsibility to teach their kid (or the coach) that if the ball is hit to 3rd base, the 3rd base kid should catch the ball, and throw it to 1st base. Yes, the other kids may not tough the ball that inning, but that is they way baseball is played. Plus, the kids will learn what it is like to play a position. One father said he could not control his kid, and good luck making him play a base.

I said they sell nice dog collars ar Target grin

But the parents should bump him up to the next level

I haven't seen any film of this kid playing, and I'm sure he's a good pitcher, however, if he's an average fielder and/or hitter, moving him up a level would hurt his development.

The part that's ridiculous, in my opinion, is that these "adults" can not come to some type of compromise.

Swill,

I hear ya. T-ball is now a joke in my liberal St. Paul neighborhood. When I was a kid we played a game just like baseball. If you were out you didn't get to stay on the base and not everyone got to bat every inning. We played positions and learned the rules. It sickens me when I see 15 kids on the field and everyone batting every inning. It is just a zoo and nodody learns anything. Back to the topic of this thread if he was my kid I would have him play up but it should be his and his parents choice not the leagues.

The article from what I could tell gives no mention of another league for this kid to move up to. Evidently these days you're indoctrinated to celebrate diversity and cut and run from adversity.

tealitup is absolutely right. If you want to be a better fisherman, fish with good fisherman. If you want to be a better golfer, play with good golfers. The lesson these kids are learning is just disheartening to say the least.

the kid is 9! there will be plenty of time to move him up. he just wants to have fun with his freinds and play some baseball. remember when baseball was a game?

I don't know if I totally agree with bumping him up. At least I don't think it should be forced. My daughter it turns out has quite a talent for volleyball but I would hesitate to force her up to the next level. Not because I don't think the challenge is good but because at her age there's still some importance at being part of a team of peers and not the young kid on an older team. I know she has only recently been able to be confident about going up and now has done so but in previous years she really did not want to bump up. All her friends would be left behind. I see it with other girls in her class that have been bumped up through pressure from their parents. Yes, they were a little more talented than their classmates but now they don't fit in with their classmates anymore. As a parent on the ouside I can see it happening. I can't begin to imagine how it is affecting the girls.

Bumping up should be something the kids do if they are qualified physically, emotionally, and mentally and not before in my opinion.

Bob

It's just part of the "everyone is winners" era we have now. Seriously what are we raising and what are we teaching our children? What happens when they grow up and see what life is, that you don't always win, you don't always get to do what you want and there is usually someone better than you at what you do so you have to work twice as hard? We need to bring back the old values and get rid of the "everyone gets a trophey" generation.

I guess the only difference is that once we are all adults we are on a level playing field.

Its no secret, kids develop at much different rates, mentally and physically.

At this age there should most definately be "levels". A and B if you will.

You want your kid to play at the highest level (A), well then you better be prepared for that 40mph heat grin

I remember when I was a kid growing up (around 10yrs old or so), there was a kid from another town's team who threw so hard, none of us on our team could even see the ball go by. I batted 3 times against him and not once did I see the ball go by. Nor did any of my teammates. Obviously the pitcher threw a no-hitter against us.

I can see both sides of the coin in this situation. I understand the kid's parents and the kid himself want to play in the league. And I understand the other parents don't feel it's safe. Heck, one wild pitch from the kid I faced years ago and who knows what could have happened.

I guess the only difference is that once we are all adults we are on a level playing field.

At this age there should most definately be "levels". A and B if you will.

You want your kid to play at the highest level (A), well then you better be prepared for that 40mph heat grin

I gotta disagree even adults we are not on a level playing field. Everyone has special niche traits or whatever that they excel at and others don't, it's called gifted along with hard work and dedication.

As far as the whole sports, my kid is not as good as your kid, yeah that's right teach your kid how to be better as opposed to having the gifted athletes move on to a higher level, which sure they can still participate and still probably excel, but why not explain to kids that's your compettition. If that were to happen, the kid to move up a level, why doesn't he get a choice, do you think he wants to leave his teammates and friends for that. It's called common-sense (or not so common) that adults need to start letting their kids live their own lives and learn the trials and tribulations in life with guidance, not for parents to live their youth through their kids.

I was okay at soccer - and when I was 14 to the age of 19 I played on the US National Jr. Team. The sport stopped being fun for me and more of a way to pay for college and not disappoint people.

The most fun I had was playing in high school, where it was competitive, but not so intense. In college, our coach would hang scholarships in front of us to use as a way to play better. The sport was not fun.

Saying this - let the kid pitch! He is only 9! He can only throw 3 innings a game. The one kid who does get a hit off of him will instantly be known.

Let me say that again with a litte more emphasis

Taking him out of the league he is in would lower the level of talent there and leave all the other players with nothing to shoot for. This would hurt there development as baseball player. Part of the game, any game really, is facing people who are better than you, if you fail it gives you a goal for improvment, and if you suceed you can feel proud of your accomplishment.

BigWade, I agree with you about parents letting there kids go out on there own. Having played youth sports (and highschool) and then umped youth baseball for the past few years, some parents don't realize why the bleachers are outside the fence. It's not their time to play anymore, they need to let Juinor go through the disappointments of losing and figure out that hard work is the only way to sucess.

Moving someone up because they are better than others isn't always the answer, it may help their development in sports, but it also can have a negetive effect. If they think they are that good enough already they will stop trying to improve and will just sit back and be satisfied. This can also lead to young kids developing an attitude of I'm better than you are baseball, so your not good at anything

So what I'm saying is Just play ball

Dtro -- I agree with that just that adults are on a level playing field I didn't agree with wink

Dtro -- I agree with that just that adults are on a level playing field I didn't agree with wink

I hear ya, I just don't necessarily think kids should be grouped together by age alone wink

This is why I am glad my kids are borne of a mother who could not catch a cold. Psycho parents and 'Everybody Wins!' type leagues are too much for me.

I tell you why he should be bumped up tho. He hasnt beaned anyone EVER? I coached 11 yr olds and it was a beanfest some nights. I remember buying pop and candybars for the other team once.

What's the concern about the possibility of he beaning someone. How much faster is his fast ball than the next kid in line? 5mph, 10mph? My guess is that at age 9 it'll hurt just about as much either way. I don't think the kid getting hit will come away thinking, "Man, that 38mph hit really hurt!"

Bob

The problem with moving this 9 year old up is, just because he has a great throwing arm and throws really fast and accurately, does not mean that he has anymore knowledge of the game than any other kid his age. This is what needs to be worked on at this age besides just a players skills.

I have an 8 year old and if he were a hard thrower like this kid, it wouldn't do him any good to move up and play with older kids because his knowledge of the game itself is still that of an 8 year old. He needs to play with kids his own age until that knowledge is achieved.

Also some of this kids other skills such as batting and fielding may not be on par with his throwing ability and may need time to catch up with the older kids in that regards.

Also, look what disbanding this team does to all of the players in the league. Every team is now going to end up with at least 1 or 2 extra players on it that will have to see playing time. This waters down ALL of the kids playing time in the whole league.

Moving the kid up exposes him to trying to pitch way beyond his ability also. He may have a wicked fast ball but at the next level he may be pushed into throwing curve balls ect that his young arm doesn't need. I say let the kid play.