• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Jig Fishing

Craigums

1) What are the advantages of going with a longer (7'2'' MH) rod over a shorter (6'8'' M) rod that I currently use?

2) I plan on combining it with the new Curado with the 5:1 gear ratio, is there a reason I should concider a higher gear ratio for this application?

3) I will give Flouro a honest try with this set up. I currently use 14# mono, now that I will be going to Flouro is 14# adaquite? or should I concider a more hearty 17-20# flouro?

I just love when bass get a Jig and with temps dropping it's my understanding the jig fishing is just going to impove!

Thanks,

CP

Craigums,

The advantages of a longer rod is mostly in the hookset and the fighting of the fish as you don't typically want to cast the jig as far as you can. The longer rod will give you a better hookset as it will pick up more line quicker. It will also do most of the work when fighting the fish. A medium is a little light for most jig cover (weeds, wood, docks, etc.). I wouldn't be afraid to try the 6-8 though and see how it works, just be aware that you may lose some fish with the lighter rod due to the hook not "driving" into the fish in deeper water and heavier cover.

I would go with a faster retreive reel. The advantage of a faster rell is to pick the line up quicker and to get the fish out of the weeds or away from the wood as quick as possible before they get dug into it and get off.

I use anywhere from 17#-25# flouro with most of my jig rods having 20#. But unless you are in some really heavy stuff, 17# should work fine. If you are frustrated with flouro make sure you use some of the line treatment sprays that are on the market. They help make it a lot smoother casting.

Hope this helps, and I also hope I didn't just say for you to go spend a few hundred dollars. smile

Craigums- I hope to be able to help you out here...

1) The advantages of a longer rod is more leverage, more versitle(can be used for flipping and pitching). A 6.5" rod would not be as good if you plan to flip with it at all.. it would work for pitching though, but not as well as a 7' or longer rod.

2)In my opinion, not a good reel for this application. For most jig/pig combos, the reel is only there to pick up slack that you create by lifting the rod to get the jig to move. 5:1 will be slow.. my Flippin/Jig rods are 7:1 or at least 6.4:1. But again, only my opinion

3) Depends on how you fish and how thick a stuff you plan on using.. If you are going to throw the jig in open water and on weed lines, the 14 should be fine. If you like to flip Milfoil, pencil reeds, lilly pads, you would be much better off stepping up to the 17 at least... I have 17 Mono on one o my flipping sticks, 20 Floro on another, and 65 braid on a 3rd.

I would go with a faster retreive reel. The advantage of a faster rell is to pick the line up quicker and to get the fish out of the weeds or away from the wood as quick as possible before they get dug into it and get off.

That is true but you are working with a pretty short line and typically you want a slower reel when dealing with smaller treble hooks so they don't come free. I wouldn't worry about a faster reel with a large jig hook. That much muscle is needed for Muskies and the like, not really needed for bass. There's plenty of muscle in a fast reel for bass, as long as you provide it. You need more speed, not muscle. Does that make sense?

1) What are the advantages of going with a longer (7'2'' MH) rod over a shorter (6'8'' M) rod that I currently use?

**snipped**

Thanks,

CP

-other things to consider-

If comparing equal power with only 4 inch longer rod, then you should measure the rod from the reel seat to the tip. Probably might only be 2 1/2" difference. At times those slight differences in rod length can help in presentation nuances.

There's plenty of muscle in a fast reel for bass, as long as you provide it. You need more speed, not muscle. Does that make sense?

Alright thanks for clarifying!

[quote name='slipperybob

-other things to consider-

If comparing equal power with only 4 inch longer rod' date=' then you should measure the rod from the reel seat to the tip. Probably might only be 2 1/2" difference. At times those slight differences in rod length can help in presentation nuances.

[/quote']

Its the same model rod I already own it's just there "Jig Model" unfortunately you have to order it online so im not sure i'll be able to measure from reel seat to tip. Im just going with the MH cause I already have 2 Medium power rods and only one MH

I see...

you're going to be more authoritative with a 7'2" MH when you hook bass now. It's give you more head turning control, by just length and power. If both model have the exact same handle grip lengths, then you will get all four inches.

Good stuff here .... I am looking to put 7:1 ratio reel on a 7ft MH rod. Was looking to use it for jigging/texas rig/misc plastics. I assume this would be a good setup for this purpose. I was looking to use copoly line (have 12 & 20# on hand but sounds like it would be better to go with something in between). Thoughts?

Could I get away with using this same rod setup for using on topwater buzz baits and on occasion frogs or other topwater lures? I would prefer not to get other combo's for these applications. I would think I could - the bigger problem might be what line to use for all these applications on the same rod.

I do have 6'6 MH with 6.4:1 reel and 12# copoly that I use for larger cranks, spoons, spinners chatter baits.

You can do all of the above with that combo. I would go with 15#-17# test line and you should be set. Frogs I use braided line to get the hookset on long casts and get them out of the [PoorWordUsage], but you can do it with mono, just need to "put it on em" right away. If you are planning on doing topwater other than buzzbaits, then you won't want to use a flourocarbon as it will sink, but your copoly should work. Just be carefull if you use a topwater with treble hooks as that rod will pull pretty hard on those treble hooks and you may lose some fish unless you loosen the drag a bit.

I think that combo should be able to do what you want it to. 12 lb test may be a little light for any thick cover, and 20 may be a little tough to cast. Between would be a little easier to manage. I'd stick with co-poly if you want to do any topwater applications. Floro is a nightmare as it pulls topwater stuff underwater and kills any action.

Thanks for the quick response ... would you recommend 15 or 17#? Leaning towards the 15# cause I think it will be easier to use, and I don't spend a lot of time in the realy heavy cover.

I was planning to go with P-Line CXX Copoly. I have had good luck with it, doesn't seem to stretch as much as Gamma Copoly and is pretty tuff.

Unless I hear different I plan to go with the following for jigging/plastics rod (double as my topwater rod)

- 7' Fenwick HMG MH fast action (love these rods)

- Abu Garcia Revo SX 7:1

- P-Line CXX Copoly Moss Green 15#

I have the same setup in a Medium power for small cranks, spinners, etc. and love it. (currently playing with some 20# Stren superbraid on it)

Thanks all for the feedack and craigums for getting this tread started.

NCL- Sounds good to me. 15 should make you happy, and PLine CXXX is very good stuff, its what I used before I found Gamma. Your right, it doesnt stretch as much as the gamma, but it doesnt cast as well in my opinion.

Enjoy the new set up, and best of luck with the jig fishing! Hope I was able to help some!

That sounds like that combo will work just fine. If you are not in heavy cover then 15# will be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. Jigs should be in their prime with this later season...

Thanks guys - you've been a big help. With the cost of this stuff it is awesome that I can get great advice from some fellow anglers that speak from experience. Nothing worse that buying a an expensive setup that doesn't meet expectations or work well.

Line is pretty cheap, so if I don't like the CXX, I can always put on something else. One thing I will say about Gamma , it is amazingly limp and have good luck with casting it. I wish Gamma had copoly that has the current casting/limp characteristics of the current line, but lower stretch.

Never did a lot of jiggin for Bass, I tend to be too impatient and end up reaching for more of a faster working search type lure like a crank bait or spinner/chatter. I've heard that using jigs can have better luck with bigger fish so it should be interesting.

My favorite Jig right now is the Northland Jungle Jig 1/4oz-3/8oz I like the placement of the rattles. In black and Blue with a Saphire Blue Chigger Craw.....

One question I have about using flouro. If I go with the 17lb flourocarbon line should I use a differant main line and use the flouro as more of a leader or should I just spool the whole reel with the flouro?

Northland makes a good jig and I love the chigger craws although they are pretty soft and don't last all that long (good marketing ploy).

I spool the whole thing with flouro. One thing I can reccomend is to leave half of the spool with what you have on now and fill the rest with the flouro. This will make your spool of flouro last a lot longer since you wont use it all at once. If you were to use the flouro as a leader you would want to make sure your main line is at least the same pound test, as whichever is weaker will break. But then you run the risk of another knot in the line breaking.

I spool the whole thing with flouro. One thing I can reccomend is to leave half of the spool with what you have on now and fill the rest with the flouro.

Those sentances contridict each other. Do you leave half the spool with other line then? if so what type of knot is used to connect the two

It certainly can yield some bigger fish! What types and sizes of jigs do you currently have?

Since I am new to this technique, I picked up a starter set from Bass Pro (I think it is the Stacy King set, comes with about a dozen various jigs and a bunch of plastic variations). Not sure how good the stuff is, I may have to try some of the jigs mentioned.

One thing I can reccomend is to leave half of the spool with what you have on now and fill the rest with the flouro. This will make your spool of flouro last a lot longer since you wont use it all at once.

Great idea ... thanks for the tip. That flouro stuff is expensive, this will help save few buck.

That kit should get you started. As you use them more you will find you need more sizes and colors for different applications. I strictly use Outkast RT jigs and love them. They have great colors, head design and quality hooks.

I also like the RT Jigs, wish they would come in 1/4oz size though for a nice slow fall speed. I really love their sunfish pattern jig.

What type of knot do you use to connect your main line to your flouro?