• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Joe Suits

Question

I'm thinking of purchasing a new rig. I would like to have opinions and comments on 2 stroke vs 4 stroke outboard motors. All that comes to mind is, when I had a 4 stroke lawn mower it seemed it needed something, valves, etc. Had a 2 stroke mower and for years just changed the plug, added fuel and lasted for ever.

Thanks

Joe

12 answers to this question

4 all the way, I currently have a 2 stroke and love the dependability etc, but the 4 is soooo much quieter and uses less gas and oil runs cleaner with less exhaust. get the 4 even though they cost more.

I agree go with the 4-stroke. Hey PASSION, I've got the same motor, do you have any problems with it dying out at low speeds? I pull cranks with the 50 going and I love it, its quiet, but it seems to die out on me a lot lately.

TL

I would go with a 2 stroke in one of the direct injection models. Yamaha's HPDI is a great engine that is very quiet and is great on gas. I know the new 225 and 250 HPDI run only on 4 cylinders then jump up to the 6 at higher RPM's. Evinrude's Fict injection is new and improved over OMC's mistakes in the past. Don't forget about Merc's Optimax, another great motor.

All of these will rival any 4 stroke for fuel efficency, quietness and cost. They are all emmissions complient for 2006. They weigh less than 4 strokes and have better top-end. Overall 2 stokes are the way to go for me.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

The most temperamental outboard I've ever owned is the two-year-old 9.9 Merc 4-stroke I use as a kicker. If it starts and continues running it's fine -- problem is getting it to start consistently.

Incidentally, do we need to renew the discussion on "Two Cycle" and "Four Stroke"?

My only thought is fuel efficiency. My four stroke is unbeatable in fuel efficiency. I know I will have made up the difference(2 stroke vs 4 stroke price) in a few years on gas alone.
Also, one very nice feature the new mercury 4's have is fuel injection. Rumor has it that Yammy's are working on this for 2004. My fuel injected 4 stroke starts great every time. If you go 4 stroke, look to get a fuel injected 4, you won't regret it.
Opps I did forget to say that the 4 stroke motor is a bit heavier and doesn't have the power the 2 stroke has, but my lund pro angler tops out at 33 loaded down with a 60 horse. I guess how much speed do you need??

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 10-02-2002).]

Hey Lundexplorer,

Run some sea foam through it. The 4 stroke yammy's are notorious for their jets plugging if your not using fuel up quickly. My brother had to take his in twice to have the jets replaced because they were so plugged. The jets are very small for fuel efficiency and tend to plug with varish from fuel sitting more than two weeks.

Run it dry after each outing and use sea foam or a simulair product and you'll be fine.

My vote is for the 4 stroke. I have a 90hp Honda and it runs just like new. I had the carbs cleaned and gone through this summer because it would kill after backtrolling for a few hours.
If I was to get a new motor it would be a Merc Fuel Injected 4 stroke. These babies get even better gas milage and start better in cold weather.
The only downfall is that 4 strokes are a bit slower out of the hole than the 2 strokes. The prop pitches can be changed to achieve diferent performance needs.
My 90 is on a 1900 Pro-V tiller and it will top out at 33mph with only me in it and 28 fully loaded. As Hammer em says " how fast do you need to go." I personally get annoyed by boats that wiz by me going Mach1. Are