• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kind of a serious Toddler question

My daughter is 33 months. Well the last couple of months she is getting a lot of nose bleeds. She's got them before, but not as frequent. Between Thurs and Fri she got Five. To me, that's a lot. Have talked to the doc before and he says not to worry about it. But it's not a little blood, it's a lot!! It runs for a good five minutes and that's with presure on it. Has anyone run into this or seen it before. I know it's not a med forum, but with all the Mom's out there, I thought maybe someone had seen it before. Is it something we should really worry about? She did have another gusher yesterday.

Hmmmm, Could be that the air is "too dry" Have u tried using humidifier in her room while she's sleeping during the night?

Also, you could always get a 2nd opinion and get it checked out.

I had a nephew that had regular bleeds like this....and we too were concerned, but all docs I've ever talked to say it's really nothing to be concerned about. It looks like a lot, but not enough to cause anemia. There are clotting disorders that may cause this, but they would be accompanied by bruising and other symptoms. My nephew to this day (he's 16) still is prone to them.

Well I got a call back from the Doc. They said most likely nothing to worry about. If you don't get it to stop in 20 mins she goes to the ER cause of the amount of blood loss. If she has three or more in a day, take her in to cauterize. Other than that watch her and if she still gets them that frequent to make an appointment. They said you can put some Petrolium Jelly in her nose twice a day and that may help. So we'll go from there and see how it plays out for now. Thanks for all the advice so far.

I personaly delt with this.

Starting when I was about 30 months and lasting until 8 or 9 on an almost nightly, and eventualy a weekly basis. Even into my teens it was nothing to wake up in the night with bloody pillows or sheats. It is hard to deal with I am sure, but as I grew up I learned to deal with it.

Some people grow out of it quickly. It took me my teens for it to stop being a "regular" thing, and on really dry parts of the year I dont get supprised if it happens. (been a few years, knock on wood) Just like you, doctors told my folks that I would grow out of it and it was nothing to worry about. It can be an indicator of other things though, so getting it checked out is the right thing to do.

I DON'T WANT TO SCARE YOU BUT I TOO HAD THIS PROBLEM SINCE A CHILD. I HAVE HAD THE BROKEN NOSE, DEVIATED SEPTUM AND SO FORTH. IN THE WINTER TIME IT IS WORSE DRY AIR AND ALL. IN JANUARY I REALLY HAD THEM SOMETHING TERRIBLE I WOULD JUST TOUCH MY NOSE AND IT WOULD BLEED FOR SOMETIME. THEN ONE MORNING I WOKE UP AND MY WIFE THOUGHT I HAD A STROKE. I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND IT WAS DETERMINED TO AFTER A DAY OR SO THAT I HAD STAPH INFECTION THAT TURNED SEPTIC IN MY BLOOD. AFTER 3-4 SURGERIES AND TWELVE DAYS IN THE HOSPITAL I WENT HOME. ALTHOUGH I WORK IN A LIVING PETRIE DISH(A JAIL)THIS IS SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE CHECKED BY AN ENT OR A HEMOTOLOGIST. THE WAY YOU DESCRIBE HOW IT BLEEDS CAN BE A RECEPTOR FOR SOMETHING FAR WORSE THAN IT IS.

I had this problem myself till my early teens, not so much anymore. Vasaline in the nose was always a good idea when I was little. Like already said, this time of year was especially bad.

My daughter is 33 months. Well the last couple of months she is getting a lot of nose bleeds. She's got them before, but not as frequent. Between Thurs and Fri she got Five. To me, that's a lot. Have talked to the doc before and he says not to worry about it. But it's not a little blood, it's a lot!! It runs for a good five minutes and that's with presure on it. Has anyone run into this or seen it before. I know it's not a med forum, but with all the Mom's out there, I thought maybe someone had seen it before. Is it something we should really worry about? She did have another gusher yesterday.

I had this problem in my teens --- oh wait that was from fists hitting it, seriously, Shane -- Maddison had this about the same age that liz is. They eventually went away and she will get them occasionally still but they stop and don't oozzzee to bad. Just very scary the first couple times.

Most likely this is a nutritional deficiency. A good quality multi-vitamin, should take care of it. A company called Standard Process makes a very high quality, inexpensive chewable kids version. DO NOT get one at Target, Wal Mart or the grocery store. They are no less expensive and are garbage! [Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.] Call my office, Specific Family Chiropractic and I will send you one. Dr. Joe

I still get frequent nosebleeds when the air dries out. My dad had the same problem. He was told his vessels were very near the surface in his nose, so if the skin dried out too much, it would cause the nosebleed.

To stop the bleeding, I put a kleenex in the nose for 10 minutes by the clock.

Like stated earlier, it isn't something to be concerned about unless they won't stop.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Dr. Joe, welcome to FM and thanks for that post. I'll call your office tomorrow. This site is great to get all kinds of info. You know I'm a first time parent and there are always things that pop up. I might just be overly concerned, but it's my baby and want to make sure she's OK.