• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Floats?

Catfishunter

Just woundering what kinds to try and rods to match? Been using a thill big fish with a egg sinker but hard to attach a glow stick. I have been fishing them in fast current under rapids with nice bubble lines and pockets. Fishing has been good with nice channels landed. Frogs are bait of choice but big fish on cut.

For most catfishing situations a Pole Float style will serve you well. By far my favorate style of catfishing float.

They come in weighted and non weighted versions in sizes ranging from 4" to 16". Pole floats are available in lithium battery LED lighted versions from Lindy. The lighted versions are a hoot to fish with at night for cats and just about anything else, just weight them accordingly to lessen the resistance on lighter biting fish. Weighted and non-weighted pole floats run from $2 to $7. Lighted versions run from $5 to $8.

For shallow water float work, with baits heavy enough to sink on there own, I opt for weighted Pole floats. They cast like a rocket and maintain there upwright orientation while presenting the bait. They handle current well and ride waves extremely well.

Non weighted Pole floats will in most situations require a substantial amount of weight somewhere near your bait depending on float size and bait of choice, to keep the bait in the desired depth. Exceptions to this are if you wish the Pole float to lay on the surface and pop-up in an upright position to indicate a pick-up of the bait. This works well when you desire to use the float as a method of dragging a cutbait through very shallow water with little or no current present or with bait sets designed to rest on the bottom.

The Thill larger predator cigar style balsa floats are great floats. For there size they can suspend a lot of weight and cast well. Thill's run about $5 +/-.

Large bulbous style floats, such as hollow chamber or Styrofoam beach balls, are my least favorite float to use, in any condition. They have poor casting characteristics, tangle up in mid air, and require a lot of pull to be tugged under. The wire clips top and bottom on a bulb style float, designed to fix the float in place, often damage the line too.

An economic weighted Styrofoam casting float I do recommend is designed for surface popping for strippers. It can be rigged slip or fixed, has a cupped top and is funnel chapped with a nail weight inserted into it for casting weight. It casts very well and can be used to pop-n-spit water to attract shallow water cats. They handle most cut bait and Kermit situations very well. Not as visible as a pole float though at a distance. They cost about $2 each. I found them at Sportsman's Warehouse.

A Float fishing/rigging tip: Use heavy main line (30-40-50-65 Power Pro) and a leader below a heavy ball bearing swivel (NO CHEAP SNAP SWIVELS..just a swivel). Make the leader of a lesser value (30-40# Big Game mono) than the mail line. Also use a silicone tube and bead above your swivel and below your weight to protect you knot from damage from the weight. That way when you get hung, and you will, you can break off the leader or hook....and not have to chase lost floats down river and re-rig as often.

Hope this helps.

Sure does. I like the idea of draging cut across the bottom weightless, sounds good in shallow water. Looks like the billy boy bobbers lighted pole float and the weighted lighthouse slip floats are on my list, found them in the Catfish Connection catlog. I have been troting the float down rapids steering them into pockets behind bolders and deeper shoots and has worked well. Have been using a 7'6" med baitcaster with 50 pound tuff line xp as a main line and 20 pound mono as leader but sometimes I switch to my centerpin rod and reel that is used for steelhead at 11'6" foot and light action it sure is fun. Started using floats under the dam in Crookston for cats and then learning how to use them for salmonida in the rivers around duluth. I think it's the best way to cover water in the river unless your casting for bass. I need to find a longer med. action rod to work the floats the way I want but the pin is sure fun.

I have a 11' Euro style ABU Boron Predator rod rigged with a US REEL 240 SX and 40# Power Pro...I like to use it for stealth Kitty Kork'n. I can cast a Very...Long....Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyss...with it too.

You can take up a lot of line in a hurry, and slam it home when needed. It can and will handle everything from pike to sturgeon. Fun rod, super reel, I love it!

Eh...thanks for the comment on the signature. My Grandpa was a serious fisherman in his day, and that remark was one I always remember him by.

I like a balloon for my float. They are not great for casting, but a whole package takes up practically no space in my tackle box. When setting up my rig I thread a 1/4 inch tube (about 3 inches long) with a bead above the sinker. Then if I want to use a float I just tie a balloon to the tube and use a small rubber band (for braces) as my bobber stop.

I like them inflated rather fully so they can quickly drift out in the current or with the wind. I find with circle hooks the large balloon does a great job of setting the hook. This is a great technique if you are fishing a circular eddy. Especially when there are many rip rap snags.

For light I use the glow sticks from Bob Moore's bait store. They are about eight inches long. I attach the glow stick to the balloon with a large rubber band.