• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New fish house project

mediocrates67

Ok everyone, I'm making the plunge and building a house. I've been part of the sidelines on the FM Ultimate Fish House for long enough...time to do my own. Will post pics as often as I can.

I have a few questions for those of you who have been through this already. I'm looking at an 8x16 with a v-front (similar to the FM Ultimate). I know to get tube steel and not angle iron.

1. What is the difference in paint jobs? I hear about powder coated and there are some that are just painted. Does it matter?

2. If I have a single axle, should I have leaf springs?

3. What is the big advantage to a drop hitch over a straight hitch?

4. Are trailer brakes a necessity?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I can't wait to get this started! Deadminnow has done a great job on his, now it's my turn!

1) Powder coat is more durable than paint. It won't chip as easily.

2)You will want either leaf springs or a torsion axle. The vast majority of houses have leaf springs as it is an easy system for raising/lowering the house.

3)A drop tongue frame will allow you to lower the house without unhooking from your tow vehicle.

4) Brakes are not needed if the house weighs less than 3,000Lbs. icluding load while being towed.

5) Good luck on your house building project. Have fun.

Drop Tongue is great for convienince.

If you are going with a 16ft house I would definetly do tandem axle with brakes, that gets to be a sum of weight loaded with gear, build it to last.

Personally I would put tandems and brakes on anything over a 7x14, I just like the way it tows as well as the additional safeties.

Brakes are nice to have because they take some strain off of the tow vehicle brakes. Also if driving on ice, having trailer brakes helps keep the trailer from pushing the tow vehicle and sending the entire rig into a spin. looking forward to seeing your pics. good luck!

For your paint question, powder coating is something you would probably have to have professionally done because it requires a big oven to bake the paint. It goes on as powder and the baking process liquifies the powder. The thing to do is find a shop that does this work and ask them how to prep your frame.

Yes, it would need to be sand blasted to powder coat it. Most of the frames out there are just painted. Don't worry about it, just do a little touch up every year or so as I don't personally think it would be worth the expense to have it powder coated.

elwood, i've heard that gets heavy. probably expensive too.

now for another question: if i spray foam the underside, can the steel still rust from the inside out? i'd probably have to make sure the whole frame had no exposed rust.

I'm contemplating what to do for the underside, should I leave it and just sandwich some foam over the frame or should i spray foam the underside? the FM Ultimate has spray foam, which is what i'm leaning toward.

so i found a place to build a frame for me, great price. $1600 for an 8x16 with 4' v-nose, wheels, leaf springs, winches, front winch, epoxy painted, all 4x2 tube steel. is an all 4x2 frame overboard and heavy? most of them are 3x2. i'm probably going to ask for a 4x2 outside frame with a 3x2 inside frame just for weight standpoint. might drop the price $100 too i suppose. any thoughts?

i don't think 4x2 is too much, we just bought a 8x22 frame and it's 5x2 in the key places with some 2x2 across at plywood seams. It' still flexes a lot. It won't once it's skinned and framed but less may cause premature wearout of walls etc.

As for the rest, herculiner is what we put on ours and its great, your epoxy should be good too, we have considered the options and are spray foaming under and inside.

Good luck!