Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandmannd

How has your life changed??

144 posts in this topic

So everyone keeps griping and moaning about how bad it's been under Bush, how great it was under Clinton or vise versa or what not. I want to hear how you life changes by who is in office. Mine doesn't really change to be honest, taxes always go up no matter who is in there. I just keep going day to day, paying what I have to and nothing changes in my imediate life. I see things I don't like, but the majority of things don't affect me. So, since everyone is up in arms, I want to know how it affects you directly. Not, "oh welfare needs more", No "Gas is too high". I want to know what really affects you by the presidency.

Not exactly sure what you're getting at but some things that do affect me as an American are:

• An invasion into a foreign country based on lies
  • The shredding of our Constitution
  • Running up a very large deficit
  • Borrowing money from a foreign country to pay for our war
  • An economy that's in shambles

Edit:

And yes, the high price of gas.

Heck the invasion of our own country.....

The doors are wide open, with greeters..

G.C.

Yup, that's another one. His lack of progress on closing the borders

Better keep that one handy for reuse in the next 4 years.

Heck the invasion of our own country.....

The doors are wide open, with greeters..

G.C.

This is the biggest thing that affected me. The rest has to do with a steadily declining economy, but that had to happen sooner or later, no matter who was in office.

I'm still trying to figure out where this declining economy is at? The GDP has been on the increase for over four years straight.

My Federal taxes are lower than they were the previous eight years. (Note Federal, not State!)

Take a look at the Boats and Motors forum under the "Rigs for 2008" thread and tell me the economy is tough. Some may not be able to afford the 200HP motor, but they are still buying the 150's and the key phrase is "still buying".

Sure, the housing industry is in a slump, but that was self-induced and hardly attributable to the government. Anybody could have seen that coming the way they were giving out mortgage loans like candy at a 4th of July parade.

So everyone keeps griping and moaning about how bad it's been under Bush, how great it was under Clinton or vise versa or what not. . . . So, since everyone is up in arms . . . .

Not so. Everyone has not been griping about that, though some have. No need to overstate your point to make your point, man. smilesmile

While my life has changed much over the last eight years, some for the better and some for the worse, it has little to do with which administration happened to be ramrodding the country. Clinton/Gore had their issues, as do Bush/Cheney.

My biggest problem with the Bush has not been his policies, though I've disagreed with many of them. I disagreed with many of Clinton's policies, too.

But to put my finger on the issue, I have to go with something my son said when we were sitting around the lake cabin discussing politics. He's in law school in Baltimore and plans to work in the field of international law and politics, possibly at the U.N., possibly not. Regardless, he's been an avid political watcher since he was in his early teens. He may eventually run for office himself.

He says, more than policy stances, what he looks for in a politician is the fact that there is "a mind at work."

That leaves out George W. Bush who, if he has intelligence, has done a wonderful job of keeping it under wraps. It's Cheney who shows intelligence. Clinton and Gore definitely had a conspicuous intelligence, though Clinton couched it in that "aw shucks" southern drawl so mainstream America felt more comfortable.

As has been well illustrated on this board a number of times, the power of the presidency is limited. Certainly the pres has his powers, and they are not paltry. Supreme Court and other federal bench appointments, cabinet positions, etc., as well as the ability to wield the veto pen and (when public approval ratings are high) actually influence a lot of legislation.

But day in and day out it's Congress that impacts policy more. When both houses of Congress and the president are from the same party, look out! Or maybe one should say when there's a president of a different party than the congressional majority, look out!

Just depends on your outlook.

I think it would be a wondrous political experiment to put one party in power in both houses as well as the presidency for 30 years and see how it goes. Then switch over and give the other party the majority for 30 years.

In a way, it's too bad that'll never happen.

My basic answer to sandmannd's question is that I don't believe my life has changed substantively regardless of who the president is, partly because of the limitations in presidential power, and partly because our two-party system of checks and balances guarantees a schizophrenic two-steps-forward, three-steps-back approach. It's a death sentence to progress.

There, I feel much better now! gringrin

I'll tell you one thing that Bush did that affected me a lot. He made a tax break of 10k for every child you adopt. Reguardless of your financial situation. This is great, kids need homes and when the cost of a child is anywhere from 12 to 40k and even up, it helps a lot. Our daughter was 23k that we didn't have and took out a second mortgage, it was nice to get that big tax break and put a lot of money back in.

Not exactly sure what you're getting at but some things that do affect me as an American are:

[*]An invasion into a foreign country based on lies

Again, Congress passed going to war.

Quote:
Again, Congress passed going to war.

Ok, let me restate;

[*]An invasion into a foreign country, approved by congress, based on lies from the Bush administration.

How's that. wink

Under Clinton I was doing quite well in my business, since Bush a nosedive. As far as economy, I used to do craft shows where I made $1500 and up in one day, now I struggle to make $500 in a weekend. Under Clinton we had money to burn, now we can barely make it month to month. Between higher gas prices, higher medical costs and higher utility bills, we have learned to cut back on some things. Is Bush the cause, I don't really know. But I would like to know how we can spend billions on the war in Iraq, catch Saddam, but Osama Bin Laden is still at large. I thought he was our original target?

Lets see. My grocery cart doesn't fill up as much with a $100 spent. Farthest I got from home this year is 60 miles because of gas. My jobs are less in quantity and smaller in comparison from years past, self employed landscape contractor.

All mentioned above is a direct result of the economy for me.

I did throw caution to the wind a purchased a Limit Creek rod(very pleased I did) and just purchased a new fish finder through Pro Fishing Supply (and also very pleased). Thought I'd give back to our sponsors and contributors my way of saying thanks

I'll tell you one thing that Bush did that affected me a lot. He made a tax break of 10k for every child you adopt. Our daughter was 23k that we didn't have and took out a second mortgage, it was nice to get that big tax break and put a lot of money back in.

Glad that you could come closer to making a profit through your adoption. Why would you cast adoption in clearly monetary terms?

Lmitout is right on. Everyone complains about the economy, but the money is still being spent. Ok so you may not have extra cash, but you must still have the internet, maybe cable tv or the dish, how many tv's in the house, how many cars, toys, what about cell phones, been on any vacations this year, what about gifts at christman, b-days, and of course my favorite eating out and going to the bar.

Democrats- It is time to leave big mommy government, and maybe, just maybe, it won't kill you to be accountable for just one day. Heck try it for a week, even a month. Then, write us back on the forum, and use lots of grinsmirkblushwhistlecool when we reply, and heck we can even have a graduation party for you.

Democrats- It is time to leave big mommy government, and maybe, just maybe, it won't kill you to be accountable for just one day. Heck try it for a week, even a month. Then, write us back on the forum, and use lots of grinsmirkblushwhistlecool when we reply, and heck we can even have a graduation party for you.

Brilliant. Thanks for adding to the incisive commentary and thoughtful dialog on the issues.

Under clinton = unemployed

Under Bush = six figures.

grin

Do you work in big oil? grin

I'm still trying to figure out where this declining economy is at? The GDP has been on the increase for over four years straight.

My Federal taxes are lower than they were the previous eight years. (Note Federal, not State!)

Take a look at the Boats and Motors forum under the "Rigs for 2008" thread and tell me the economy is tough. Some may not be able to afford the 200HP motor, but they are still buying the 150's and the key phrase is "still buying".

Sure, the housing industry is in a slump, but that was self-induced and hardly attributable to the government. Anybody could have seen that coming the way they were giving out mortgage loans like candy at a 4th of July parade.

I totally agree. Its our own greed that is killing us. Our dollar isn't worth what it was..is that Bushes fault? maybe..is it our own fault? maybe.

In my business, I have seen a big decline in companies throwing picnics for their employees, but I have seen an increase in weddings because people don't want to spend an insane amount for food and what not..all in all in at a 5% increase over last year, which is 'slow to the 18% we had the year before.

I do not blame government. I may not approve of GB, but its not all in his court.

IMO the main player is the stock market. They control the market (USD, $$), not the President...Change will come from the guys driving the US dollar. Thats not the Presidents call.

Post was deleted by me because it was written in anger and discuss no need for me to do that

I apologize

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
I'll tell you one thing that Bush did that affected me a lot. He made a tax break of 10k for every child you adopt. Our daughter was 23k that we didn't have and took out a second mortgage, it was nice to get that big tax break and put a lot of money back in.

Glad that you could come closer to making a profit through your adoption. Why would you cast adoption in clearly monetary terms?

How do you get that I cast adoption in monetary terms? I would do it again in a heart beat with or without the tax break. I don't put a price on my child. We are actually going through another one. I was just saying, it's nice to get a break. But thanks for blowing that up. When you had your children how much came out of your pocket? Did you pay all the medical bills or did your insurance cover a lot of it? If your insurance covered it, then you made a profit in your terms. You want me to put monitary on it, how about this. If you adopt a Black child the fee is around 10K, if you adopt bi-racial it goes up to 19-25k, if you want hispanic it goes to 24-29k and if you what a caucasion you're looking at 30k and up. Now that's monitorary. I never said I was looking to make a profit, I have the same expenses as anyone has with a child, but with a huge upfront charge because they make you pay through the teeth cause you can't have children. Is it worth it, HE!! YEAH!!!! Never looked back. I was simply stating that with Bush's act it makes it a little more affordable and we could put some money back on our home. Now if that's wrong in your world, well, whatever.

Well, you guys can read into it what you want. I simply stated there was a tax break given to those that adopt that is bigger than it has been. I think the cost of adoption is outragious. Poeple whine that all these kids are out there and not enough people to adopt, but they put the cost out there so most can't afford to do it.