• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

biffing the crab grass

Tom7227

I just went out with a WeedBGon crabgrass herbicide and spot sprayed this years crop. It was easy to spot since it and the creeping charlie are about the only things that are green. I also used a surficant to try and make sure the little buggers soaked up an adequate dose. It may be a little late as some of the plants had seed pods on them already, but I figure it can't hurt either.

Any thoughts from the pros that frequent this forum?

Tom -

About the best product for post emergence of crabgrass is called Drive 75.

You can find it at John Deere Landscapes, formerly Lesco just down from the Sam's Club there in WBL.

If the W-B-G product doesn't work for you, I'd give that a shot.

Q4 and momentum Q are also great products for crabgrass as well as broadleaf weeds...Q4 is a bit spendy at around $325 for 2.5 gallons to cover 2.5 acres. Momentum Q I think was cheaper but can't remember the price. I havent priced out Drive since I have found out about these two products.

I recently used the momentum Q on my lawn and it wiped out the crabgrass, foxtail, sandburs, and clover i had in my lawn.

Lesco also carries these products.

Q4 and momentum Q are also great products for crabgrass as well as broadleaf weeds...Q4 is a bit spendy at around $325 for 2.5 gallons to cover 2.5 acres. Momentum Q I think was cheaper but can't remember the price. I havent priced out Drive since I have found out about these two products.

I recently used the momentum Q on my lawn and it wiped out the crabgrass, foxtail, sandburs, and clover i had in my lawn.

Lesco also carries these products.

He's right, you know.

Thanks for the info guys.

Well I don't have all that much in the grass. If the weed b gon juice doesn't work I think I'll just go with the blow torch. The spots don't look that much different than the places where the dog goes, it involves playing with fire and it's a lot cheaper than the suggestions. Thanks for the info - but here's the real issue - if caught now will the seeds that have formed still be able to germinate next year?

Maybe what I should do is a GPS map of the yard and really hit the hot spots with the preventer next spring - sort of like the way the farmers do with their crop systems now days.

Thanks for the info guys.

Well I don't have all that much in the grass. If the weed b gon juice doesn't work I think I'll just go with the blow torch. The spots don't look that much different than the places where the dog goes, it involves playing with fire and it's a lot cheaper than the suggestions. Thanks for the info - but here's the real issue - if caught now will the seeds that have formed still be able to germinate next year?

Maybe what I should do is a GPS map of the yard and really hit the hot spots with the preventer next spring - sort of like the way the farmers do with their crop systems now days.

I'm sure your bit about the GPS map of the yard was a little tongue-in-cheek, but the problem with that is, unless you get two seperate products, one for the pre emergent, and then a straight fertilizer, you're going to be heavy on the fert in those areas as well.

And to answer your previous question, yes, you're going to have issues with C.G. there again next year.

Crabgrass is popping up in places that it's not been in quite some time as well. Last spring was abnormally dry, so alot of product didn't get the proper amounts of water (unless the property was irrigated), and then this spring was so cool for so long, that some of the barrier was wore off before the C.G. ever got a chance to come around.