• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

That's interesting to hear guys! I think I'll buy one this year and give it a shot. It's never really occurred to me that flagging on the water would be effective, but sometimes a guy needs to think a little outside the box.

So now I've got to ask a couple follow-up questions....

Do you flag when they're a few hundred yards out, or how close do you let them get before you quit flagging?

Also, do you wave the flag way up in the air, or just a few feet off the water?

And lastly, when you flag at the geese and then put the flag down, do you just drop it in the water or pull it back in and lay it on shore?

If it were me I'd only use the flag when they are way out to get their attention. Wave it way up and then imitate a goose landing, once you got them comming, then use the call. Never used one out on the pond but in the field we just lay them on the ground next to the blind.

Thanks for the info Farley. During my field hunting days, I never used one. So this will be a little new to me, but doesn't sound like it's too "trivial".

It'll be an interesting "experiment" for me. smile

I have used one while hunting on water during duck season, they can be useful for attracting flocks, but only use it when they are out of range of hearing your calls. Once they get too close it doesn't really look that natural and can flair birds. I would lift it up to straight above your head and then flutter it down to the water, keep flagging until the birds turn your way.

flagging works well in all kinds of situations. You definately dont want to do it when they are close though. I also do the majority of my flaggin when I think the birds are out of call range. Maybe a couple of quick flicks to try to get them on more of a line to me, or to get them to commit early if I think they are going to go past. A little secret that I want to share- when it layout blinds, if the birds are committing but are suck holing to one side of the spread or just out from the spread, just flick one tip of the flag once, and that little bit of movement can really help to sway the birds more towards your direction. It simulates a live bird quickly stretching/flapping/flicking a wing...or however you prefer to see it.

Eyepatrol, with flags you don't have to get real fancy, either. The ones I use for goose hunting are an old pillowcase with a little black spray painted on them.

Have you ever noticed when geese get up off the water and head to the fields to feed it's kind of like follow the leader??? Flocks will follow the flock in front of them. If you can't get the first flock to come to you it can be frustrating as all get out watching all the others not come to you also. Flagging has helped me a TON in this situation. Even if the first flock won't come to me I've had following flocks veer away and come right at me. I'm convinced it was the action of the flags in the air, and landing that did it.

This is all great imformation folks! Hunting the water, I've just never thought of using a flag. Obviously I've heard of lots of guys using them in the fields and see it on the TV shows and stuff.

I've got my annual waterfowl hunting shopping spree this weekend, so I'm going to pick up a flag. With all this talk, I'm getting excited to use it next weekend!

And boiler....I know EXACTLY what you're talkin' about! The geese around here where I hunt are always on the city storm water pond. When one flock gets up and flies a certain path, the rest follow on that same path. Flock after flock, same thing happens (and when they return as well). I'll use the flag to see if I can't steer a few of them in the "right" direction. wink

I dont assume that just because I have hunted with a flag before that I know all the tricks, thus I dont assume others know everything either. Just throwing something out there that has worked well for me.

I dont assume that just because I have hunted with a flag before that I know all the tricks, thus I dont assume others know everything either. Just throwing something out there that has worked well for me.

Me neither. While I've hunted waterfowl of all types, for going on almost 30+ years, I'm far from an expert. The info you shared is exactally the info sharing that makes FM so great. Thank you for tossing that tip out.