• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why Can't Joe Nathan............

zamboni

go more than 1 inning???? Alot of closer in the Majors are asked to come in to pitch the 8th and 9th, why not Nathan? I have seen the bullpen blow alot of leads in the 8th (today included). Put him in for 2 innings for Pete's sake!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, how long will this go on? The Twins are lucky enough to be in a pennant race despite losing so many players that were instrumental in past years' successes, yet they don't do anything about the bullpen, particularly the 8th inning setup man?

Of course the Sox come back and win their game as the Twins drop theirs.

Yeah, how long will this go on? The Twins are lucky enough to be in a pennant race despite losing so many players that were instrumental in past years' successes, yet they don't do anything about the bullpen, particularly the 8th inning setup man?

Of course the Sox come back and win their game as the Twins drop theirs.

What exactly would you do? Nathan is not going to pitch the 8th inning very often, NO closers in BASEBALL do.

Instrumental? you mean like saving $250,000,000 on Yoahan and Tori by not signing them? or are you referring to Neshak's injury?

I understand it was a tough loss and yes our bullpen struggled again today but hang in there guys it ain't that easy to change at this point in the game.

In one run games, or in a game in which we start blowing 4 or 3 or whatever run leads (like today) in the 8th- Nathan needs to go in. It won't kill him pitching 1 and 2/3 or 1 and 1/3 innings. He IS the highest paid and best closer in baseball, use him in these situations.

AJ got into a hotbox, had ran out of the basepath (was on the grass) and was ruled both safe and given 3rd (hotbox was between 2nd and 3rd) because it ruled he was interfered with. It was a bad call, HE was clearly out of the basepath before the ruling.

AJ I can't stand the guy.

It is pathetic when a reliever's job is to go through one or two innings and hold the other team at bay and they can't do it. Whenever the starters leave the game with the lead and they hand it over to the bullpen, it seems like they blow the lead more often than keep it. If the starters can go through 6-8 innings and only give little or no runs and then the bullpen

comes in and gives up 2+ runs an inning/outing, that's pathetic.

It's funny when these relievers have to pitch more than 1 inning, maybe a couple nights in a row and they are said to be "overworked" when starters are pitching 6-8 innings. When you think about it, a reliever's job isn't that hard, but they sure make it look that way.

And as far as nathan goes, if the starter's can make it to the 8th and they are up less than 3 runs, I think putting nathan in would be a smart option. But if we are up 4+ runs, give the other guys a shot.

I wish I would start seeing more Breslow too.

Anybody who wants to see Nathan pitch more innings I submit to you Exhibit A:

Matt Guerrier. Look at what overwork has done to him this season.

Don't mess with the one thing in the bullpen that's working this year.

Anybody who wants to see Nathan pitch more innings I submit to you Exhibit A:

Matt Guerrier. Look at what overwork has done to him this season.

Don't mess with the one thing in the bullpen that's working this year.

He is a closer, not a reliever. BIG difference. The Twins will not be going into the 8th or the 9th with a 3 or less run lead every game this season. If they did, they will win 140 games. The save situation only comes up about 3 times a week, and if they have a lead of 3 or less in the 8th- PUT HIM IN!!!!

I agree thank you Carl Pohlad for another outstanding team!

Without Carl's philosophy and unwillingness to pay outrageous salary's that can and have set teams back for decades he stuck to his business model of developing our farm system and signing our young core players which of course has made the Twins the envy of all Sports teams and fans across the nation.

grin

What exactly would you do? Nathan is not going to pitch the 8th inning very often, NO closers in BASEBALL do.

Instrumental? you mean like saving $250,000,000 on Yoahan and Tori by not signing them? or are you referring to Neshak's injury?

I understand it was a tough loss and yes our bullpen struggled again today but hang in there guys it ain't that easy to change at this point in the game.

The instrumental comment-all of the above smile

I'd say it's just a little disconcerting to always be the bridesmaid, never the bride. Shore up those deficiencies. It's fun to be in an unexpected pennant race, but let's make a push. I can't emphasize it enough...no one expected the Twins to be here, including me, so let's run with it. Too bad the trading deadline is past; I guess it's sour grapes on my part that nothing was done. Bullpen deficiencies were exposed all year and if we finish as AL Central runners up with no wildcard we'll know why.

People act like you're asking a relief pitcher to run a marathon. How much arm fatigue does Guerrier have at this point? He's averaged 93 innings per year during his ML career and as far as I can tell he's still on track for that number.

Baseball managers aren't ever going to rock the boat. They'll pitch their starter, insert mid-relief around the 7th (if they're lucky enough to get their starter that far), and then put in the closer. I don't know how this modern formula ever began, but it wasn't always that way. Goose Gossage worked a lot of 8th innings. The role of closer has changed so much, and even if I stand alone, I think in these situation (particularly your 2008 MN Twins) you'd be better off working Nathan two innings.

By the way, if in the 8th and Guerrier, Crain or Reyes and company are given a lead, and we all start seeing it slip, why not put him in?? We did it a week or so ago- 1 or 2 outs in the 8th and the relievers started blowing it, and they put him in. He did his job, got the inning over with, and then pitched the 9th as normal. That is one of the only times (if not THE only) I have ever seen Gardy put him in that situation, and it WORKED. Today- Crain starts blowing the lead- PUT HIM IN!!! If the Twins blow it and don't make the playoffs by one or two games, decisions like the one made today (and many other days) will be Gardenhires fault. Let me say it again, this isn't the first time the bullpen has blown a lead in the 8th. Alot of closers have been known to go 1+ innings, and Nathan should be no exception for the amount of money he is being paid.

You make it sound like picking up a decent reliever in mid season would be like going to Super America for 2 hot dogs for 99 cents... grin

I understand everyones frustrations but there are not a lot of mid season acquisitions made especially for relievers that can be done without giving something of much GREATER value in return and the flip side is it hurts you down the road.

I told you guys we shoulda signed Hawkins!.....buy NOOOOOOOO!.. grin

Not too many managers with a better record than Gardy has since taking over from TK. smile

I was kidding. No manager has been tossed as many times as Gardy since he took over either- but THAT is fun to watch!!

PB, we are on opposite sides of the spectrum, but can respect your opinion. A middle reliever at trade deadline is probably the least expensive move a team can make. We have a history of not picking up people at the trade dealine and has costed us over the last 8 years. Remember guys, we have the richest owner in baseball. It's fun to be the underdog/small market team, but we don't have to be. We can all say we won 2 world series with the philosophy we have now, but it's been 17 YEARS.

Plus the state is going to be bringing Pohlad in MILLIONS of dollars paying for a ballpark he didn't want to flip the bill over. Truth be said, anyone that has any stake in it should get a check in the mail every month, not him. It is high time he spends some cash on some quality players.

PB, we are on opposite sides of the spectrum, but can respect your opinion.

Actually we're not that far apart I wish we would make a few deals also, like Windy says it ain't my money so spend it!

I know I sound like a Pohlad family member "I WISH" and Twins Apologist but it is what is and HE ain't spending one unnecessary dime no matter how much we complain and the sooner we understand this the better off we'll be ... LMAO> grin

Gotta Love AJ,

Smartest player in the game today. He knows each and every rule and when to apply it. I guess he was shouting "obstruction" as soon as the TB fielder bumped into him (or did he bump into the fielder?) who knows, who cares, we will take each and every win possible right now. And did you guys know that this was the same ump who made the famous AJ call in the 2005 playoffs vs the Angels with the drop 3rd strike. AJ better buy that ump a nice steak dinner!!!

Back on top of the teeter toter!

Windy