• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jerk bait set up's

champion198elite

I use a 6'6" KVD signature series quantum rod with a Quantum Tour PT reel. I use 12 pound test Gamma co-poly for line. The one change I'm looking to make on this setup is that would like a 6'3" rod or maybe even a 6'. I'm 6'4" tall and I tend to hit the water with my rod jerk-baits at times. A shorter rod may cure that.

Can't go wrong with a 6'6" med. action baitcaster. As far a brand Big Bear Rods makes a great 6'6" med. action rod. I too would like a 6'3" rod and talked to the owner of big Bear Rods and he mentioned that he could make a 6'3". A shorter rod really helps with fatigue if you are throwing a jerkbait all day. As far as line I like 12 lb. co-poly Gamma line.

I'm a spinning reel guy, so I typically use the standard 7 ft medium rod. Thats an ugly stick.

Anyway, I'm changing up into baitcasting. Been using a 7 ft med fast St. Croix Avid with the old Shimano Coriolis GA. Waiting for the new Curado E to come through the mail.

I've recently just got a 9 ft St. Croix Avid MH fast salmon rod with the Japanese Core reel (Mentanium MG7). So far the few times I've used it I didn't catch anything worthwhile to fully test this combo. So far I haven't notice much fishing difference from the 7ft rod. Biggest difference is only when I catch fish and I have the extra length leverage.

Hiya -

7' med-light x-fast action spinning rod, 30-series spinning reel, 10# fireline with a 12# fluoro leader. MUCH prefer spinning to baitcasting for jerkbaits personally. Also really like braid - you can cast a Husky Jerk or Pointer a mile, and have way better control over baits with braid I think. Some real small jerkbaits like Pin Minnows or the tiny HJs you almost have to use mono or you'll overpower them, but all in all, I way prefer braid.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Can't go wrong with a 6'6" med. action baitcaster. As far a brand Big Bear Rods makes a great 6'6" med. action rod. I too would like a 6'3" rod and talked to the owner of big Bear Rods and he mentioned that he could make a 6'3". A shorter rod really helps with fatigue if you are throwing a jerkbait all day. As far as line I like 12 lb. co-poly Gamma line.

I actually think a longer rod cuts down on fatigue because the rod does most of the work when retrieving the bait, fighting the fish and will allow you to cast further with ledd effort. But too long of a rod will cause you to hit the water or side of boat as well. A lot of it depends on your height and how high your boat sits out of the water. If you try a few different lengths of your current rods you will quickly figure out what works for your style. I use a St Croix Avid, 6'-8" Medium Extra Fast. It has a lot faster tip than most rods and allows for great retrieve and casting and still enough backbone to set the hook and fight fish.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I'm 6'4" and I think my 6'6" rod is too long. If you ever fish an eight hour day (tournament or otherwise) then you will quickly be cursing your longer rod. The extra strain that a longer rod puts on your wrists will about have you in tears by the end of the day if you are forced to fish a jerkbait all day long. Trust me, I've fished a 7'0" rod with a jerkbait, and the 6'6" is substantially easier on my wrists and fore arms.

Then we will agree to disagree. The shorter the rod the further you have to pull to get the bait to do what you want, it's simple physics. I have fished MANY tournaments and love having my 6'-8" for an 8 hour day and I am 6'-3". A longer rod is typically heavier in weight but this weight can be made up by a better quality rod. I do agree that a 7' is a little on the long side but I have used a 6-3 and was not happy with it at all. But it just goes to show, to each their own. Whatever you have confidence in and feels comfortable is the best rod for you.

Hah, I think what both of you are saying can be true, strictly based on what power of rod you're using. If you're using a longer rod that still has a stiffer tip, then it should be a little easier on you in the long run, but most rods really get alot of give in the tip as they get that long, so that might be the difference you each are seeing. To each their own for sure. I love my shorter rod (6' MH) for jerkbaits, so I'm even more of an oddball out!