• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which breeds would you own?

2 DA GILLS

You are correct Scott..... I had you confused with another Griff owner from MN... Actually I believe Chris recently moved to Montana... He and I had also exchanged emails some time ago.

I like you am wondering if I have the time to prepare Belle for the UT Test next year. She is also still pretty young at 17 months. I do work with her just about every day and she is coming along nicely... She is now steady from point to fall which is good. Getting her to "Woa" on the fall was the biggest challenge since she loves to retrieve... We will see how well she does this fall during Pheasant season since I will be hunting quite a bit both in MN and SD.

I may later this fall try the live duck search... Need to acquire a couple of ducks before I can begin this routine.

I am sure your Griff will be doing quite well after a month of training.. From what I understand he is a really good boy...

He will be a very happy boy coming back home...

I love my GWP, but my next dog will be a DD.

The only other breeds I would consider would be, in this order:

(1) Pudelpointer,

(2) Griff, then

(3) German Longhaired Pointer.

I also e-mailed a couple of griff breeders. WI has some of the best griff kennels in the country - though Jensen is no slouch.

My top choices are...

German Shorthair (horseback lines)

Pointer (coverdog or shooting dog lines)

English Setter (coverdog or shooting dog lines)

Springer (field trial lines)

In addition...

If I could go through dogs until I found one I really liked I'd also throw Vizslas and Weimys in the mix too.

which breed would I own? any one thats a good one. all breeds can produce great dogs. I am partial to my Flat Coats and Llewellins though...especially when it gets really cold out. Neither care for the 50 degree pheasant days too much.

n63210485_32555407_4219.jpg

n558675303_3825793_8501.jpg

n558675303_3825791_7776.jpg

It is great that some love their current breed so much, but the subject title was which breeds would you own. I think my Griff is great as well and there are some other breeds I would own if:

- I there were no limit to the number of dogs

- I did not live in town

- I did not have to have a full-time job

- I did not have 3 children under the age of 6

- I could have a dog for each type / style of hunting I enjoy

You get the idea. This is not my breed is the best, it is what would be some other breeds I would own - if I could. Have some fun with it.

I prefer the long hair breeds, Setters at that. Within Setters I can't imagine having anything other than an English but here's what else I'd consider:

- Gordon Setter

- Irish Setter

- Cocker Spaniel

- Large Musterlander

I was thinking about getting a puppy soon. My initial want was a chessy. One of the reasons why i like this breed is because of their size and durability. But I have also heard they are high maintainance as far as needing to run A LOT. I was just wondering what people have heard about this breed, good and bad. I would also like to know if there are any breeders in mn.

I've had many GSPs and Pointers so those 2 breeds are obvious.

I'd like a Lab.

Field Springer.

I'm not a big fan of some of the exotic breeds. I've been involved w/ many of the pointing breeds form being a trainer/ handler that started out in NAVHDA and ended up in horseback AF trials. I want dogs that have a TON of natural, early instict. I culled ruthlessly as a breeder and gravitate towards breeds & lines within the breeds I had that reflect that goal.

BTW JConrad.. Bill and his late wife have been friends of ours for over 30 years. He is a devoted WPG guy & truely a good person. You could not have bought a pup from a better man.