• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which breeds would you own?

2 DA GILLS

I thought this thread may be fun for the dog owners out there. If there was not limit to the number of dogs you could own, what breeds would be on your list of dogs to purchase (besides the breed you already own)?

Here is my initial list (in no particular order)

Deutsch Drahthaar

Pudelpointer

Vizsla or Wirehaired Vizsla

English Pointer

Field Bred Cocker

Chessie

Currently own - 3 year old male WPG

zeusdougmt4.jpg

Great question...

I also own a Griffon...she is 16 months old pic below.

Other breeds that I would really like to have would be:

Field English Springer Spaniel

Brittany Spaniel

German Wirehaired Pointer

Vizsla

English Pointer

My Griffon is still number 1.....

BelleinGardenAug08.jpg

We are currenty training a field bred cocker for her owner... They are really nice dogs... Also we have a Golden in from Wyoming that is also a really nice dog... Good choices from what I have seen lately...

Thanks for the pic....

I see that a couple of you guys have Griffons and was wondering if you know of a place to get one. I've been thinking about looking for one this spring, and am having a hard time finding a breeder. Thanks

My Griffon came from Bill Jensen at Alders Edge Kennel in Milaca. Bill is a great guy and has been breeding Griffs for many years... He is also very active in NAVHDA.

He only breeds maybe one litter a year and usually in the spring. I know he did not breed this year but may very well this coming spring. His dogs last litter just won a NAVHDA breeders award for dog performance in natural ability testing.

Send me an email if you would like his contact information... My email address is posted..

My Griffon is from a breeder in Rochester, MN. I can get you contact information if you would like. Same story though, 1 breeding per year at most for him. The thing with serious Griff guys, they know about good litters coming up and will let you know. They may be half way across the US, but they know about them.

I posted a few picture of my Griff on another site and one of the guys guessed the sire based on the photos. Pretty impressive. There are several breeders in Wisconsin. Do some internet searches and you will locate a few. Try searching for versatile dogs, you can find some stuff on Griffs.

Here is my 4 1/2 year old British Lab. I will more then likely get another one but how cool would it be to have a pointer hold, and then send your lab in to flush and retrive the bird. grin

GSP

English Pointer

Dan

P3210226.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I've always figured word of mouth and owners' experiences are the best way of finding as reputable breeder. There seems to be way too many guys trying to make a quick buck over the internet, and I'd rather deal with a quality guy.

If you could PM me the contact info, I'd appreciate it. I tried the email thing, I can't figure it out.

We now have a 4 month old YLM. He's my first dog and I am amazed at his temperament and intelligence.

KodyWater.jpg

Kody4mo.jpg

If I could get more dogs, I'd get:

Black Lab

Chocolate Lab

Chessie

German Shorthair

Bernese Mountain Dog

Though I doubt I will ever change breeds, if I got another dog I'd consider:

-Pudelpointer

-Deutsch Drahthaar

-GSP

-Deutsch Drahthaar

-Griffon

-Deutsch Drahthaar

See a pattern? Hahaha...

A favorite pic of my 3yo male Draht:

th_jake_card.jpg

And my 5mo old female Draht pointing a bird:

th_DSC_0103.jpg

I agree with you on dealing with quality breeders... In fact all good breeders will provide a wirtten contract and guarantee on the health of the animal... Bill's guarantee is for up to 30 months for the detection of any big problems.

[note from Admin: Please read forum rules before posting again]

I hope you find on of this terrific animals!!!!

I've owned britts and now have a Ryman English setter, would get both breeds again.

Also have always been interested in:

Pudelpointers

GSP's

Griffons

German Wirehairs

Braque Francais

Vizsla

Weims

Pointers

To name a few...

Sorry, they won't let me post Bill Jensen's contact info... You can Google Bill Jensen Milaca MN or contact directory service...

His phone number is a listed number...

I hope this helps and I hope they let me post at least this....

eskay

I would like to share my info about Griffon breeders, but I am not sure how I can do it. The PM function does not work and I can't view profiles to find your e-mail address, if it is there.

You can send me a message to my yahoo account. pippensob@

I have completely fallen in love with my chocolate lab below, he is wonderful at home and in the field (I haven't hunted behind him yet, but will this year, my father in law won't leave home without him though, and he owns 2 pointers of his own!)

I am also really found of my father in laws viszla, what a cool dog!

Other dogs I would like:

brittany

GSP

Chris, how is your boy doing? Any further testing plans?

I am sure you are looking forward to the upcoming Pheasant season...

After having a number of other breeds over the years and now having a Griff I am completely convinced that this breed is amazing!!!!

Joel

2 DA GILLS is actually Scott, not Chris. We have exchanged e-mails before about our dogs, but I am pretty sure Chris is one of the other Griff owners on here.

My Griff was at the trainers for the month of August, I actually pick him up this weekend. I am excited to get him back home and to see what improvements have been made.

I am still unsure about the UT test for my dog. I believe he has it in him, but I just do not have the time right now. I will decide over the winter what I am going to do.

Thanks for the effort guys. I'm also having problems with the PM thing. My email is skennen at centurytel dot net. Maybe this'll work. If not, I'll try to figure something out. I did find one breeder in Montana that started with one of Bill's dogs. That may be a lead.

E-mail sent.

Back to the subject. Has anyone every hunted with a Standard Poodle? Not on my list of breeds I would like to get, but I am curious about them.

I was wondering about that too. You know, I would go the ENTIRE route if I could find a birdy Poodle - name him "Fifi" - and have a BRIGHT PINK chest protector on him for pheasant hunting just to tick everybody off.

It would be great!