• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CV Joints 2000 Hyundai

I need to change both joints on my daughters Hyundai Elantra. Is this a straight forward procedure of splitting the lower ball joints getting the spindles out of the way and removing and replacing the shafts? Or is the devil in the details. I have a fork and access to a hoist today and tomorrow. Thanks.

Thats pretty much it. I would not use a fork on the ball joints. More than likely you will ruin the dust boots if you do. The joint can be separated from the knuckle buy using a long pry bar and prying down on the lower control arm while smacking the knuckle where the ball joint mates with it.

Other than that make sure you torque the axle nut or you will ruin the wheel bearings. An easy way to do this is to put the lug nuts on the studs and tighten them to secure the rotor (the tire is still off the car). Place a large punch into the cooling fins of the rotor either above or below the caliper or in the center opening of the caliper if accessible. The punch will rest on the caliper and keep everything from moving while you tighten the axle nut with a torque wrench.