Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
PFUNK

shooting rage broadheads into broadgead target?

I was hoping someone could give me some insight on shooting rage broadheads into a broadheads target. I have a gander moutain foam target which is made up of layers of foam of differing density, lowest density in the front and highest density in the back of the target. It is actually pretty hard to pull my arrows out when I shoot my field tips, but has started to get better as it's getting broken in. I would really like to shoot my rage expandables at it to see how they are flying compared to the field tips but I am scared I will run into problems removing them. I am scared that if i try to pull them back out it will put so much torque on the blades because of the broadhead's design that I might break the blades. And I don't really want to be forcing them all the way through the target because thats hard on fletching. Anyone have any thoughts?

Gus    8

Just shoot the practice head that comes with it. Those heads are expensive enough already, I wouldn't practice with the real deal. I have done it myself, it shot the same as the practice head. You are right, it was a PITA to get out of the target. The blades practically make a barb when trying to pull out. I've heard replacing the blades is nearly impossible because the screws strip. Just stick to the practice head. I played around with Rages, and a number of other mechanicals but only for Turkey hunting. For Deer I prefer a fixed blade. Just my opinion obviously. Right now I'm getting perfect flight from Slick Trick Magnums and G5 Montecs and I've got no moving parts to worry about.

Well no doubt they test them on their own, but I'd like to test it to see how it comes off of my setup. I wish it was as easy as just taking the manufacturers word for it, but they had a lot of problems with their blades last year so I'd rather shoot a few myself. I'll give the practice head a try once. It just seems so blunt cuz it has dummy blades to make it shaped like a real one but obviously they arent sharp or anything so I didnt wanna rip up the target with a big bulky tip. They did the job fine last year but hey it never killed a guy to test them out a bit.

I agree with eyeguy54. Why bother ensuring that your equipment works before heading to the field? Worst case scenario you wound a trophy animal and it goes off to tie a painful death from being gutshot. Who cares about that? Remember....like eyeguy54 mentioned, the guys taking your money always have your best interests at heart.

Hubercita, a bit testy aren't we? But I agree with you. No way would I head into the field without trying my setup exactly as I will be hunting with it.

PFUNK, find some old styrafoam, put it in front of a good backstop and fire away.

I always practice with my broadheads after using my field points. I would never even consider not trying my broadheads before going afield. If your target won't release your arrows well, push them through and then take the broadhead off and pull back out as suggested. I would also use the practice broadhead to see how they fly. I have been a fixed broadhead shooter for 30+ years and after watching a few of my hunting buddies use the Rage two blade, that is what I will be shooting this fall.

Awesome broadhead.

As far as the rage heads are concerned- I shot a "live round" into a layer target, and it flew exactly the same as the practice head that comes with it, and field points. I didnt want practice with this type of head, but I needed to know how it would fly--So if its something that your concerned about and need to see for your self, u best shoot it- mine flew good, this doesnt nessarily mean yours will (this target was shot up bad, arrows comin out the back end, i wouldnt reccomend shooting them in a new target...)--Good luck!