• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mounting downriggers

slammer

Question

7 answers to this question

A picture of the back of the boat from the inside and out would help in giving suggestions.

Are you using this on the Great Lakes for Trout and Salmon or inland lakes.

What is the beam?

Do you want it to be removable?

It could be as simple as using pedestals and 2x8 to get a good working hight or clear an outboard. I would only consider doing this if you have no other option.

Or the board mounted directly to the boat.

Personally I'd rather have each downrigger mounted separately from each other. Let me explain that further. Sharing that board will transfer any movements to all the downriggers.

So say one ball is bouncing bottom, you don't want all 4 riggers bouncing. Same could be said for detecting a fish on that didn't trip your release.

Using a track system is another option. You'll be able to remove the riggers, add pedestals, swivels, and rod holders and move them around.

Which ever way you go you'll want to use a backer plate.

They would be used mostly on Lake of Woods and possibly Superior or Michigan. The boat is a 01 Lund 1700 fisherman. A buddy has 4 riggers mounted right to the boat on a 1800 fisherman and works fine but is a bit crowded with 4 people. Since my boat is a bit smaller, I'm thinking I'll maybe only have room for 3. Does anyone run a rigger over and behind a kicker motor? Good point about not mounting them all on a board. Thanks for the input. If I did use a board it would have to be removeable.

4 riggers on a 17' boat will be a chalange around motors/kickers. I would just get 2 and stack lines. 4 across the back of a 17' boat just doesnt seem to fit in my mind. I know it wouldnt work in my boat.

I would just go with a track system on each side and mount 2 per side if your set on 4 riggers. Run 2 straight abck and 2 more off the sides. Myself I cant see a need for 4 riggers on a 17' boat. Especially on LOW with only 1 rod a person. Mn. Lake Superior only 2.

Ill see if I can get some pics to Frank and have him post them of a few boat lay outs I have seen and liked. I think I still have one of a board system but I dont think it had 4 riggers.

Thats pretty narrow to run four off the back. I'd mount one on each corner and run them out the back. You can use the track there or not. As Steve said if you want to run 4 riggers mount the next two out the side. You can move those up to just behind the counsel if you want. I'd use longer booms there to get more spread. Increase that spread even more with wingers. I run 4 downrigggers on my Lake Superior boat and thats how its setup but no track. Advantage of the track is you can move your stuff somewhat and once the riggers are removed its clean with no bulky mount in the way. Although I have 2 riggers on my eye boat boat using the Canons mounts which are a low profile, they don't get in the way when the riggers are off.