• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Braid knot

I use a palomar as well. Haven't had a single problem with it and boated multiple fish with no knot problems.

Found a big yellow/orange bulldog, leader attached, in about 5 or 6 feet of water the other day, stuck my rod in and brought it up. No line attached above the leader, so don't tie whatever knot that guy was using.

smile

bronze brings up a good point indirectly...to re-tie. Even though it's 80lb braid, that knot and the few inches above is subject to a lot of fatigue and the few inches can get little abrasions, especially with a lure like Bulldawg that can foul up into the infamous "dogball" where the front treb is wrapped on the line.

I only use a Palomar when I tie up the leaders on the big sticks. When I fish with mono or copoly, it is somewhat application specific, but when I am on braid, it is going to be a palomar. I made a mistake of tying on a buzzbait for bass this spring with a trilene knot and cast the buzzy off. Lucky I had another copy of it, but still ticked me off.

Don't want to change to subject too much but I messed around with the Bucher knot some and had some difficulty - is there a trick other than spit to keep it from binding up as you tighten it?