Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul_Kramer

Braid knot

12 posts in this topic

I was wondering what some of the guys here use for tying Powerpro or something like it to their leaders. Thanks for any help!

I believe that the majority of people use a polomar knot. I prefer the double Trilene knot personally. The Bucher Powerknot is another good strong knot.

I use a palomar as well. Haven't had a single problem with it and boated multiple fish with no knot problems.

Found a big yellow/orange bulldog, leader attached, in about 5 or 6 feet of water the other day, stuck my rod in and brought it up. No line attached above the leader, so don't tie whatever knot that guy was using.

smile

I use the trilene and have no problems. It was the first and only knot i was ever taught so i just stuck with it. I have heard that the polomar knot is stronger though.

Thanks for the replys. I've always used the palomar, never really had any problems with it.

bronze brings up a good point indirectly...to re-tie. Even though it's 80lb braid, that knot and the few inches above is subject to a lot of fatigue and the few inches can get little abrasions, especially with a lure like Bulldawg that can foul up into the infamous "dogball" where the front treb is wrapped on the line.

I only use a Palomar when I tie up the leaders on the big sticks. When I fish with mono or copoly, it is somewhat application specific, but when I am on braid, it is going to be a palomar. I made a mistake of tying on a buzzbait for bass this spring with a trilene knot and cast the buzzy off. Lucky I had another copy of it, but still ticked me off.

Don't want to change to subject too much but I messed around with the Bucher knot some and had some difficulty - is there a trick other than spit to keep it from binding up as you tighten it?

I think I know what you mean when you say "had some difficulty"... I pretty much have it nailed down... and can show you how to do that next time I see you...