• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pouring a driveway?

DRH1175

Shacky you hit every piece. I can't stand using wood for my forms unless you are doing a radius. I use all steel forms, much quicker to set up and stays straight! I encourage people to have different finished looked instead of the old brushed look. I like to do the "farmer finish"

Ya, I know, anything for a buck. It's called a weekend warrior. wink

They do soil correction all the time. There is nothing wrong with digging out the clay. Rebar is supposed to be tie-wired up. Setting it on cement chunks works, but it's not really right. I also don't agree with tying rebar into anything existing with a structure on it. Even if it holds, now the driveway can heave and possibly pull the building up with it.

If you really don't want it to move, you dig some holes, fill with cement, put in rebar and bend it into the new slab. This will hold, but it extra cost and extra labor, so like I said this is null and void on a DIY forum.

3.5" of Fiber cement and you'll be happy. If you are worried and want to pay, make it thicker and throw some rebar in there.

Alot of opinions, I know, but talk to a residential cement man. I'm sure he will say the same things I just said.

Quote:
Rebar is supposed to be tie-wired up. Setting it on cement chunks works, but it's not really right.

Good call Roofer! Yes, always tie off every cross’s or tie in spots with mechanics wire/ steel tie wire. Sorry I forgot.

I do not use the rocks or concrete chunks all that much, but for a do it your selfer it is a nice little tip to help hold up the rebar during the riggers of the pour.

As for clay, what I have found if there is a foot, there is ten feet.

Quote:
If you really don't want it to move, you dig some holes, fill with cement, put in rebar and bend it into the new slab.

I have never had to do this to a slab yet, but down slop/hill stairways this does work slick. Depending on the grade, we would do this to every other landing. Dig a foot and half to 2 foot hole (deeper if wanted and one or two footings per landing), bend down rebar into the hole and tie off to the upper rebar of the landing.

I may not know everything about concrete, but what I do know is you can make it easy, yet good or hard and yet bad. More is not always they key. Doing it right is the key.

I was a little more than a weekend warrior, but more of Boom, bust your hump while it is good type of situation. Scab outfit, yes, but the guys who I had working with me possibly where in a Union whistle. Week nights, weekend, vacation, if the money was their we would get’er done. I ran a 4 guy crew and these guys where concrete lifers and still to this day. I was lucky. About 6 years ago I puddled on a job to help out on of my buddies who organized the pour as a side job. He is a great finisher, but getting things together is no his forte. I had the capital and means to really get things going. So, I enlisted 4 great guys who show up on time, have been doing concrete for many years, did a great job and paid them well. The rest is History

We did do some mild/rural commercial, but mainly residential. I have a fully paid for 03 S185 with Goodyear Rubber tracks that is still like new with under a 1000 hours, full bobcat concrete set up trailer, with every concrete tool you could think of in it, plus a 36 Chevy Coupe I can contribute to slinging mud. I even have a Power Screed, with a 8’ float crazy (do not ask). I never did use steel forms, but I have also heard they are the cats meow.

Do to the slowing of jobs last season and the almost molasses movement of concrete this year, we decided to just take this season off and live life. But when that Boom comes around again, I am ready to get back in action. As a matter of fact, I just went threw and oiled up all my finishing equipment about 2 weeks ago grin. Good times!

Concrete is one of the great arts from way back when, that still rolls today. It goes quick, you can make money and you still get that satisfied feeling when cleaning up and looking at what you just got done doing. But, concrete is a very hard life. Most concrete lifers die young and that is why I take great care when pouring. Masks when cutting, long pants on hot days, gloves if possible and keep the stuff off of you. Clean, clean, clean!

That's good for you shack. Not trying to put you down, but what you are doing is just taking work from someone who does this for a real living. I know plenty like that, and not picking on you, but it's the truth and kind of bothers people like me who actually have a construction business full time.

Ya, I know, way off subject. sorry.

Ya, I hear ya Roofer.

I respect this much more than you would know. That is why we pretty much have drawn it down to nothing this season. I figure let the local guys who make a living at this get what is out their right now and when thing pump back up to the point of no one can keep up, hit it again hard grin.

Most of what I have gotten was projects no one would call back on. But we did it!

The shop line still rings, but I sub it out to a couple local contractors I know and then they bid the jobs out.

I have the greatest respect for guys who sling mud for a living, but when things are good, the American Dream takes over grin.

"Man, I have never heard of this yet. I have an idea, but what is it?

Thanks!"

Shacky, what I mean by the farmer finish is once you are ready to put the final broom finish on, instead of brooming every panel in one direction, you alternate the direction to add a little character. After brooming, then you re-cut the joints and edge everything, this gives it a neat look with everything looking like it has a border.

I did this to my main driveway with stamped colored borders and it looks sharp, whenever I show pictures, people definetly want it versus the standard look.

Yep, I figured it was something like this. My father used to do this. He would use one of those old school 4" edger's and after brooming would redo the edges and cuts. I would give it a picture frame type look. He never did the alternating of the broom swipe.

Thanks