Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swill

American Chewing Tobacco and Swedish Snus

14 posts in this topic

Ok, so I like chewing Copenhagen, but I know I should quit. I have been hearing about Swedish Snus, and apparently there is quite of few (nontobacco) studies, UofM, Mayo, etc that say Swedish Snus is very low is cancer causing carcinogens and it has lower concentrations of nitosamines.

They say this comes from the steam-cured process, rather then fire cured, and they only use ground tobacco, water, salt, and flavoring (mint, lemon, natural, etc)

SO is this all marketing? Somewhat true? Anyone else chew, or try Swedish snus? I don't want to stir up the tobacco Nazi's, since I know using any tobacco is not the way to go, but there are a lot of life style choices that can hurt you health, and people still do it anyways....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

type in swedish snus on google, and it will bring up the most popular online stores. It is also cheaper then us chew, since you don't pay state and federal taxes. I paid $2.70-$3.80 per tin, and with shipping I received 6 tins for 27 dollars.

Plus, you don't have a big chew in the lower lip, and you don't have to spit, so you are not as "redneck!"

I would post the web link, but is would just end up getting removed.

Well I like natural tobacco flavors, and so far is is great. I have only tried a few of my cans, but they are good. The ETTAN loose snuf is super fine; like powdered sugar, but dark brown.

Smells good too. I guess they use a pic to pack a small amount into a "pinch" sized amount, to then place in the upper lip. I don't have that, but might get one next time.

I also purchased Retro White Portion (classic taste, natural)

Grovsnus Portion (classic) General Portion (most popular Swedish snus, has a lemon flavor) and Tre Ankare (oldest snus in the market, 1810 or so)

Looking forward to trying them all. This reminds me of trying fine cigars, a nice microbrew, or wine.

Man I need a chew now!

What you need to do is kwitcherbellyachin' and buy some Grizzly.

I love how the world is anti-tobacco, but say nothing about quitting McDonalds or Burger King. Both will kill you, but I guess driving your scooter to work to save $5 could kill you also.

Amen on the Grizzly!! When I lived in Kansas City, MO Skoal was $3.99 a tin, here almost $7. I switched to Grizzly and its not too bad.

I've chewed the grizz but found I chewed twice as much and went back to the big bear wintergreen. Man I remember $1.80 chew. Doggone politicians trying to protect us, why, my chew spit never killed anyone else or passed on the cancer like the smoke. I have always gotten a kick out of people smoking a cig and saying that is gross it will give you mouth cancer......My response has always been at least I will be able to breathe....

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. I bummed one off of a buddy (still the cheapest way to chew smile

I have moved to Copenhagen pouches. They are pricey, but they seem to last longer. If I understand my dentist correctly, they are better for you because you move them around quite easily. FYI, according to her, it isn't the additives or the nicotine, it is the compaction that will get you. Try some pouches, regardless of brand and move it around your mouth quite often. You will notice the soreness and the numbness, or both?? go away.

Well this weekend me and the fantasy football crew open up 3-4 tins and tried a swedish snus. The Ethan loose crew is terrible. Super fine, and it reminds me of wood puddy.

The Grov Portion Snus is great. Natural, and lasts a long time.

I have tired the upper lip (since they recommend the upper line, becuase you won't have to spit) but man, that area is not so much fun. It is fine for the first few, but after awhile, it becomes sore. I think I will stick with the lower lip, who cares if you have to spit...it is chewing right?//

Lastly, the General Portion is also very good. Has a lemon / tobacco taste to it, and it is a nice switch up.

Rooster Wintergreen is now $1.99 a can. I know some smokers who've been getting free cans of Snus made by Camel. They are little pouches but a little too sweet for me. I'm guessing they've made them to help people when they go to the bar and to get more women chewing.