• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Console steering-How do you troll?

rodbuilder

Question

Hey all, I got a question for everyone. How the heck does one fish effectively out of a console equipped boat? I currently run a tiller model and couldn't be without it. Approximately 90% of my walleye fishing is done by backtrolling(live bait/crawler harnesses) either with the gas motor on windy days or with the electric on calmer water and has proven to be VERY effective. What the heck do the guys with the Console steering boats do when they fish live bait rigs? I can see the use of a console rig if your trolling Raps with the rods in rodholders or when jigging since you can use your bow mount for positioning, but how does one slow troll? I am asking because I am on the look out for a
new(er) rig and I would like the comfort of a console but they just don't seem "fishable" for the aforementioned application (live bait/crawler harnesses). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

11 answers to this question

Go with a kicker, great for a back up for larger water and the rivers. Also opt for
the set of controls for the kicker....(throttle,steering,and shifting). All done from the "captains" chair. I'll never go back to sitting in the back again!!!

I've run both tiller and console and can tell you that for fishability, nothing beats a tiller. That being said, I currently own a console. However, like some of the posts mentioned above, I have a 10 hsp tiller on the back and love it. I can troll forward or backwards with it. To me, this option of a console with a tiller kicker is the "best of both worlds".
If you're like me, you won't be very happy trying to slow-troll from a console after having done it with a tiller. It's just not as effective or efficient and you absolutely, without a doubt, lose boat control (that comment may bring arguments from console owners, but I firmly believe it.) If you have the money to swing it- give a console with a kicker a shot. The console will give you comfort with good vision when driving (i.e. safer) while the kicker will offer precision trolling and superior boat control.
Good luck,
Scoot

Thanks for the replies everyone! It is much appreciated! I think I will go with a tiller model when the time comes to buy. I NEED fishability from my boat as I spend WAY more time fishing than I do cruising around in it. I am thinking that a 90 HP honda with both transom and bow mount minn-kotas would work the best. That way, I can still back troll, but when it is really windy and backtrolling is to tough, I can forward troll with the bow mount as long as I get one with enough thrust to pull me along. THanks for all the input!

D-man,

I have an OLD (1967) Lund now and yes, I get soaked. Is it the same way with the newer lunds as well? I am contemplating between the pro-v and the Warrior Backtroller (18ft.?). I have heard that glass boats are the way to go for the nice ride and their ability to keep you dry at the tiller. Any truth to that?

I know a guide who runs a new Warrior tiller and still gets soaked. Don't know of many dry tiller rides. Most glass or lumi boats with a wheel are dry, the pro-v 20 mag very dry and smooth. But this is pounding big water, ask yourself where you do most of your fishing. The tiller may be good on your type of water.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

The great old controversy of tiller vs. console. Hmm, where to begin.

In my early 20's when I was single and a die hard fisherman I had a 50 hp mercury tiller. Awesome for precise backtrolling and finesse fishing. I also had small stern mounted trolling motor used in calm conditions. I also once said "I will ONLY have a tiller".

How times change....

Now that I am in my 30's with a wife and two small children, I moved to a console and a walk thru full windshield with 90 HP honda. I say now, I will never not own a boat w/o a full windshield. Awesome in spring and late fall in tough weather, coupled with a sun top I had the family of four on the lake for many hours comfortably out of the hot sun.

To accomodate trolling needs I installed a 76# Minnkota Vantage. I can cover speeds from less that 1 mph to 2.5 in some tough conditions. Even the wind is real tough, try a drift sock (or two) and drift.