• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leech Lake, Whipholt area

cjac

Hey all,

Heading to Leech Lake next week, staying near Whipholt at Trapper's Landing Lodge, south side of the main basin off Hwy 200 near Pipe Isl. and south of the Pelican Island area.

Any general recommendations on how to approach these areas? I know Leech has been tough the last couple years, but curious if anyone has some broad suggestions. Wind and weather will dictate much, but in general are their tactics that are more along the lines of being considered as "Leech-like" over others?

Thanks, Chris

The fish are moving some, I would try smallish Mepps Muskie Killers, yellow silver, white silver, then go to big dubba single 10s and hard bodied baits toward eve, its all hit and miss from the reports Ive got lately; stay on them for awhile when you find one if nothing go back as soon as anything changes.

Good Luck if you see a Ranger with 2 oars in the water and the Gas sucker trimmed up wave HAHA

John

Thanks John!

I'll be throwing Lily Tails and some other bucktails, progressing thru the lures as the day goes. Should be fun, but it's vaca first and foremost.

These cool evenings and those forecasted ahead could be a help! Hopefully they'll be moving.

A group of 8 of us was up there for two solid days of fishing, I think our group saw one fish total between us. We tried all over the East side and all the way up to Portage bay and other well known areas. Walleye fishing on the other hand was excellent! I would think that they should start to move real soon though. We stayed at the same place as and were happy with it. Not really catered to fisherman, but still nice.

My dad and I did the best on crawlers on lindy's, a few on leeches. Easy limit with one that was 28" Other guys did good running cranks on the reefs. Tell you what, there is a few reefs right out from trappers landing, at sunset we caught 5 quick ones one evening right at dark, if you can keep the crawlers away from the crawfish that is. I have a bit more info if you wish to email me. [email protected]

If your targeting eye's,

you might also would like to look at upper and lower trelipe lakes.

i have a cabin on upper and in the past 2 years we've pulled out two 10+ pound walleyes and tons and tons of 3-6 pounders.

if you look at my avatar, thats what most of the fish are on that lake

Chris:

Any of the major rocky points on the south end can hold fish during and after wind. 1.5 casts from shore, either side of the boat. Natural colored blades on bucktails. Black topwater. Points from Stoney all the way over to Bear Island. I really like the mid lake rocks in windy and cloudy conditions. The structure around pipe and little pipe get hit hard, but it is a good spot. Try the reeds with spinner baits, but don't yank them out! If you have bluebird and calm, pull some open water baits on Walker Bay.

Cjac,

The Muskies on Leech are starting to go a little. I have been out the last 3 nights and we have been doing pretty well. AJ had some good advice with the points. As for rock piles, it's all about hitting them at the right time. Tough to give advice now because I don't know what the weather is going to be like.

Stop in at Reeds this weekend and I will try to set you up with a little milk run to get you started.

Right now it's run and gun. Hit a spot for 15 mins and move to the next. Or troll open water... yuck.. The whole lake is fishable right now.

Feel free to call my cell 701 388 5100

I will be out every night for the next month in a Crestliner Sportfish win no decals and an Opti.