• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishfinders with GPS

cray

I think an external gps is the way to go if you can get it to work. Better placement of the antenna, less chance of interference, simple matter to replace the antenna if it goes bad.

There's nothing wrong with the internal antenna units, I just think the external ones are better if they work in your situation.

If you have a full windshield boat, the internal antenna may give you issues. Doesn't seem like a big deal because it's out in the open, but my buddies Eagle on the dash of his Alumacraft Trophy cuts out and it gets frustrating. The one plus with the internal is that you can mount it to your wheeler for ice fishing!!!

I have the Lowrance 334 (internal), and it works great. It does take longer to get a signal sometimes than say my buddy who has an external. But the lack of hassle, cords, and whatnot I love my internal antenna. I use it on the ice, and in the summer.

I have a Lowrance LMS-522 with the internal antenna.It generally takes a minute or two to pick up enough satellites to get the location accurate but after that it is good except when I pass under a bridge but it picks back up right away after passing the bridge. I have it mounted in under my windshield, which is a wrap-around type, and it does not seem to cause any problem.

Are there any advantages of getting a fishfinder with an external GPS?

The only thing I can think of is if the GPS antenna was to go to pot on an external model, the entire unit wouldn't have to be repaired/replaced and you would still have the use of the sonar in the mean time. Internal, the whole unit would have to go back possibly leaving the boat without a fishfinder.

That is a bit of a worst case scenario though.

I can hook an external up to my 334 if I wanted to. I would imagine the newer ones and higher end ones would allow the same functionality. The only thing is that I cant connect some of the weather radar things to my older 334.