• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How far up the MN?

Write-Outdoor

I've fished the Mississippi for catfish quite a lot and done a little in the Minnesota near the metro but I'm wondering how far upstream you can find good catfishing. Is it good all the waq to the Dakota border or is there a cut off where the catfishing is no longer worth it?

FWIW, I was in Granite Falls on work this week and there was a DNR poster asking anglers to turn in tagged flatheads. Did a bit of fishing at night with frogs I caught and struck out - not even a channel cat or a run. Killed the carp on corn though...

Good point...I'm talking about fishing on the Minnesota River. My experience is strictly on the Miss but was wondering about the MN. I'd like to do some pheasant hunting this fall and go catfishing as well out west. Just trying to see if this is logistically workable.

FWIW, I was in Granite Falls on work this week and there was a DNR poster asking anglers to turn in tagged flatheads. Did a bit of fishing at night with frogs I caught and struck out - not even a channel cat or a run. Killed the carp on corn though...
Goblue were you in the john boat that talked to me at skalbaken,on your way down it seemed as tho you guys were new to the area not really knowing the channel?

Those yellow posters about tagged fish havent been around for 5-6 years where did you see that one? I picked one up in a flood in the woods a while back,I caught lots of flats but never one with a tag.

Good point...I'm talking about fishing on the Minnesota River. My experience is strictly on the Miss but was wondering about the MN. I'd like to do some pheasant hunting this fall and go catfishing as well out west. Just trying to see if this is logistically workable.
Once your above GraniteFalls dams,I've never caught a flat but plenty channels,and eyes will be grouping below dams around the time phasants are open.I have heard of flats above Granite,Below Granite,I catch quite a few,However the water is higher than norm and fishing 32 hrs. straight produced only 2 cats This week! Thats REALLY POOR for me below Granite.