• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muskie reel puked on me...

bmc

I use an AbuGarcia Ambassadeur 6000-C for a muskie reel. I don't muskie fish alot, but like to have a musky rod in the boat when I get the "itch". Now when I push the button in to cast, it stays in and the spool won't retrieve the line when I start reeling. The spool spins freely though. Is there an easy fix for this or should I buy a new reel?

Thanks,

Brian

I have repaired many Abu GArcia 5500c reels of my own. I also clean them every year. First, I would look to see if the 3 casing screws that keep the right side tight to the spool are tight. They tend to loosen and that could be part of it.

If that doesn't work, you will have to dismantle that side of the reel. To do this, tape the line around your spool first, then unscrew the reel handle and remove parts face up in the order you removed them. then take the 3 afforementioned screws and loosen them. Face the reel left side down and pull the right side off.

Take a look at the mechanisms and look for any broken parts. Usually it's just a loose part or spring.

Note: if you run into a C shaped clip around something you need to take off, cover it with a clear plastic bag. Those things tend to fly off when removed as they are under pressure.

It's already broke right? So this should be a good opportunity to learn how to clean/fix too. Use reel oil on bearings and marine grease on gears when assembling the reel.

If you find you need another reel and fixing doesn't work out, I suggest buying a same or similar model so you have a 'parts' reel if anything breaks on the new one. Abu makes good stuff, but it's not indestructible!

Was this after you took it apart and oiled it? Without looking at it, I can't specifically remember the part, but if in fact it was taken apart recently, you may have missed a step? Take a look at it. Garcia's are easy to fix yourself and if not, they are easy to get fixed. If you buy a new one, don't throw that one away. A guy always needs two of everything.