• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for Lab Retriever cross

westb

I am looking for a golden lab golden retriever cross. I have had bad luck with dogs the past year losing my two year old lab to an intestinal ailment and just recently having to put down my six month old red female lab because of hip displasya. Vet said it was the worst he has ever seen in a dog that young. Left hip was in only 20% and the right hip was in 30%. Needless to say it has been really hard on me and the wife and kids. I would like to get away from purebred because of the cost and my first dog growing up was a lab retriever cross.

Thanks.

Rob

Did you talk to the breeder you bought the red lab from about the hip problem? I don't think I would go for a mixed breed, I would just do some research and buy a dog from a reputable breeder that will give you a guarentee of some kind on the dog.

I got my money back. Been there done that on the research thing. A guarentee isnt worth much when six months later your dog can hardly walk cause of hip displasya. Money doesnt replace the hurt that my three kids had to go through. I am not looking for someone who breeds this type of dog. I am looking for an accidential litter.

This shows why you not only have to look at the breeders guarantee, but also, research the lines they are breeding and make sure that no less than 3 generations are clear of hip and elbow dysplasia. The more successive generations of clear the better. Also, be leary of dogs with a fair rating. Dogs who recieve a OFA rating later in life or are re-evaluated later in their breeding career will prvide even better odds against getting a dysplastic dog. I hava a dog who is 14 now and still would've recieved an excellent rating at 9...

It is refreshing to see that there was a guarntee in place, but westb is correct that it is bittersweet to have to enact a guarantee.

Believe me when I tell you this though, you are not out of the woods in regards to dysplasia just because you are buying a cross breed. It still depends on the parents... dogs that throw dysplasia will still throw it in a ixed litter. Ask a vet, they see dysplasia in many mixed breed dogs. I would still go the route of a breeder with clean lines. They are out there. Your chances of having a dysplastic dog are very very minimal.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide. It is no fun to deal with inheited disorders...

Good Luck!

Ken

...looking for an accidential litter.

I really think you are taking the right approach to this. One of my dogs is a chocolate lab / springer mutt. The mother lab was a $600 pup that wasn't supposed to be bread that cycle. Accidents happen (especially when the babysitter is around) and the well-loved, neighbors springer was in the right place at the right time.

So, the accidental litter my dog is from was from a lab with all the guarantees, certificates, tests etc... and a friendly, old healthy springer. My dog just turned 5 earlier this month with no displasya or other disorders in sight. (Both my dogs are battling a tick disease currently, but that could happen to the best pure-breads.) I am very happy with him as a hunter and companion. Sure was nice that he was only $50 pup with some shots already done.

I got my money back. Been there done that on the research thing. A guarentee isnt worth much when six months later your dog can hardly walk cause of hip displasya. Money doesnt replace the hurt that my three kids had to go through. I am not looking for someone who breeds this type of dog. I am looking for an accidential litter.

Sorry to hear about the pup....it's never an easy thing to deal with. It's good you got your money back due to the guarantee, but I am curious if the parents had their OFA clearances for hips/elbows and if so if you verified that info?

I am mainly curious because if your pups sire/dam had not been OFA'd for hips/elbows but the breeder still offered a guarantee, then a guarantee really means nothing. I have seen people offer guarantees on litters without getting health clearances on the sire/dam.....and that really isn't proving anything as far as health goes, only that if you have a problem they will give you money back.

Buying a $50 mixed breed is not going to increase your odds of getting a good pup without joint issues. Good luck with you search.

Thanks for the positive replies guys. The breeder that i got the last lab from had 22 yrs experince and i trusted everything that he told me. I did my research and everything checked out. It was just a freak of nature i guess. I had a lab retriever cross when i was a kid and it was a great dog it lived to be 12 years old with no problems. I guess i am maybe a little frustrated with my luck and am hoping for a similar experiance with a cross. I will take my chances with a cross if anybody knows of one. Thanks

Rob

Thanks for the positive replies guys. The breeder that i got the last lab from had 22 yrs experince and i trusted everything that he told me. I did my research and everything checked out. It was just a freak of nature i guess.

Rob, I am roughly in the same boat with a lab that was dealt a bad hand. I bought my lab from a reputable (long time) lab breeder and both parents had good hips/elbows. I trusted what he told me. I unfortunately found out later they were only prelims. I don't think this had anything to do with my dogs current situation and I don't believe either parents have bad hips HD at this point. My dog is dealing with ED, HD, OCD....and he is the only one in the litter that I am aware of. After all that I have been through I have learned (it was my first dog)...and I will verify all health clearance going forward.

Just remember, even with the best breeding with excellent to excellent hips there is still a small percentage chance that a pup could get HD. There are a few of us out there that unfortunately will go through this. The good thing to know is that you can only better your chances by getting a dog from parents with all health clearances....and making sure they all check out on paper.

BTW...I am getting new pup this weekend from a different breeder. Good luck with your search.

Rob,

I just saw an ad on hsolist that I think you might be interested in. Look under the Fargo/Moorhead Farm and Garden section. There was an ad placed just yesterday for Golden Retreiver/Black Lab cross puppies (six of them) in Blackduck. Says the mother is a purebred Golden Retriever and is an amazing pheasant dog. Pups will be ready mid Sept. Just thought you might be interested. If you have trouble finding the ad, let me know, and I will send you a link to it.

Good luck, hope this maybe helps you and your family!

Brenda

I got a gold lab retriever cross from the litter fishtrapgirl found on hsolist. I wont be able to pick him up till the end of sept so it will be a few weeks. The pups are four weeks old this weekend. I will post a picture when I get him. Thanks again for all the help.