• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'd like some opinions on aple wood from an orchard (for my smoker)...

I think I may have asked this before but I just did a search and couldn't find it so I'm going to put it out there: I am able to get all the free apple trimmings/cuttings/saplings(?) I can haul away from an orchard not too far from home. Is this wood I could safely use in my smoker? It is very thin, small stuff. I know I don't want green wood, but is anything else OK?

eyes317

Apple wood, especially for Ham and Pork, works great. Get yourself a big bone in ham and smoke it with apple wood. Brush occasionally with a brown sugar, Honey and Pineapple mixture. Man, is it lunch time yet? all of a sudden I'm hungry. laugh

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess I didn't ask my question clearly, so here I go again:

Will this small diameter wood be OK to use, and will it be worth my time to get it, especially if I have to strip the bark off?? I know apple wood is good stuff; I've used it many times and like its flavor. I am wondering if anyone else deals with this type of wood (small diameter) and what there thoughts are.

Thanks again...

eyes317

The size of the wood doesn't matter, the smaller stuff will just burn faster. It also depends on your smoker. I don't have access to wood like that, so I buy mine. It is normally in chips, but have used bigger stuff in my Big Chief. It all works fine.

why do you need to strip the bark? I smoked a roast tonight, and used a store bought mesquite chunks. They all had bark on them.

Also, in regards to the small diameter wood, yes, it will be just fine, and I would pick it up.

Make sure the orchard has not recently sprayed chemicals on the trees prior to the wood being collected... You do not need to be burning wood with recently sprayed chemicals on them going into your meat!

Good Luck!

Ken