• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aanderud and his new PB

DTro

If you want to target the gar, take a slip float and hang a fathead or small sucker minnow about a foot under it. We were out looking for a few white tipped carp last night and John was slaying the Gar using this tactic grin

If you want to target the gar, take a slip float and hang a fathead or small sucker minnow about a foot under it. We were out looking for a few white tipped carp last night and John was slaying the Gar using this tactic grin

How did you guys do with the white tips?

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
The ones I have been catching I bet went 6-8 lbs lately.

If they are shortnose, then you are catching state record fish.

Well they sure looked like short nose, what other kinds of gar are in the MN?

Originally Posted By: dsm95
The turtle bite was on this afternoon also two in the boat. Gar are always fun too.

How did the power pro hold up to the gar?

Pretty good until I got it into the boat, he had it in his mouth so long I gilled him. Kyle had the major mechanical failure of the afternoon lol laugh You have any of those reels left?

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild
Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
The ones I have been catching I bet went 6-8 lbs lately.

If they are shortnose, then you are catching state record fish.

Well they sure looked like short nose, what other kinds of gar are in the MN?

Short nose and long nose

I don't know if longnose are in the MN River, and if they are I have only caught MANY shortnose. They look like they would weigh a lot and that's what I thought at first but I have caught some huge ones and the biggest was near 4-5 pounds (which was a potential state record).

I asked the guys I was fishing with, they said it was a shortnose gar for sure. And I asked about how big they thought 5-6 lbs. I guess I thought bigger, but they are just bones I guess.