• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

24 Volt System

Twins 57 Fan

I recently purchased a 74 Lb Minn Kota Maxxum that needs a 24 Volt system. I hooked everything up properly and everything is working great. My questions are this...

When I Charge the batteries do I disconnect the 24 volt system?

Can I charge both batteries at once by putting the charger on one?

Any Help would be appreciated. I dont really want to fry out my batteries or do something stupid so I need your input.

thanks

What type of charger are you going to use?

No, you can't put a charger on one battery and it will charge both batteries. You will need to charge each battery seperately, with the positive from the charger to the positive on the battery and the neg from the charger to the negative post of the same battery.

Then move it to the second battery and repeat. You will not need to disconnect the jumper wire from positive to negative between batteries.

marine_man

How are your trolling motor batteries wired? Do you have a jumper between the batteries, or is the jumper connection made at the trolling motor plug?

If the jumper isn't at the batteries you could charge both batteries at the same time, but I won't go into the details unless that's the way you're setup.

marine_man

My advice would be to buy an onboard charger. 2 bank 10amp guest waterproof chargers start at $80. It's so much easier to just pull your Trolling motor plug and plug in the cord on your onboard charger. You can leave everything hooked up, and your batteries charge evenly with an automatic shut-off. The price of an onboard charger will usually pay for itself with the longer battery life you'll get.