• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric start for '63 Johnson 18hp

Patti

Any advice when looking for an electric start for my '63 Johnson 18hp? Suggestions on tracking one down? Can I use any electric start for a Johnson?

The pull-start is no fun when its a cold start cry

Patti one of the mods will know for sure but I would be willing to bet that that motor never was set up to have a electric start. You might want to look at better spark plugs and amsoil for your oil that you mix just to see if you can get it to start easier for you.

Thanks Jim...I'm only asking because I have all of the original brochures and parts catalogs for both the boat and the motor. The one for the motor said there was an optional electric start.

That is cool that that was a option but now comes the hard part( finding a starter motor) but with all the people that read this you might just find one. Time to start looking on hsolist and Craigs list for a starter. Good Luck and I will keep my eyes and ears open for one.

In the meantime I'll try the spark plugs and amsoil...also, we changed the grease in the lower unit but maybe there's something I can do to the pullstart so it doesn't pull so hard?

Jim is spot on about the amsoil, I use it in the ice auger and it works great! Make sure you get the amsoil for outboards. It is definitely a sweet boat and in great condition for it's age, and did you notice when we took it in you passed me with my 25 Merc. Of course my boat alone must outweigh yours by 700 pounds.

[note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again. thanks]

I believe you'll need to see if you have a stator underneath the flywheel. If you do your motor is capable of using a starter. The next trick is to find the parts. If you don't then you will have to charge your battery when it gets low because there is no charging system.

Usually if they didn't come with electric start they didn't have a stator, and typically the expense with adding it outweighs the gain.

marine_man