Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PierBridge

Should we Rethink the the Drinking age?

78 posts in this topic

http://www.startribune.com/local/27159424.html

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/seattle911/archives/146535.asp

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/510200.html

Not sure if this has been discussed here or not but on another forum I frequent I'll say the majority felt it should be lowered.

At this point I'd say NO it won't help with binge drinking or save lives.

I dont think it will help either. Right now binge drinking is part of the collage culture. Lowering the drinking age will transfer that culture to a younger class.

I firmly believe the drinking age should be 18, if your serving in uniform. 21 otherwise. An arguement could be raised that the voting age could be raised to 21 as well. That would stop all the complaining about being able to vote and not drink even though statistics show that the 18-21 voters have historically low turnout numbers.

I dont think it could do anymore harm, kids drink, if they cant get to the bars they have a friend buy them booze who is old enough or they take it from mom and dad, or they are friends with the bouncer and can get into the bar. If your under 21 and want to drink your gonna get booze to drink plain and simple, yea there could be a few more problems with lowering it but really its not gonna make more kids drink.

Lowering the drinking age is a good idea. Like said they will drink anyway whether or not they are legal. By lowering it, it will make them more responsible for there actions as it would now be legal and would have to deal with the legal issues that arise. If it gets them to think first, it may actualy reduce the amount consumed.

G.C.

I have a hard time arguing against drinking becoming permissible as a citizen becomes a legal adult. It makes sense.

That being said, I'd have an even harder time arguing against legalizing herb. Much less dangerous to the rest of us. If people must use some mind altering substance as a form of leisure, I would much prefer that. I've seen too many drunken fights and zero stoner fights.

My $.02

Hey they are going to do it anyways. I raised a good kid, but going to college partys and being underage, do you think my daughter did not drink at these partys. She did but is very responsible about it. She has finally turned 21 and actually just had her first real hangover, but she is legal now, and never had one prior to this. This is where the reponsible child, kid, young adult, whatever you want to call them, comes in to play. There is nothing you can do with the person that wants to drink till he or she can't just to prove how cool he or she is with the crowd of so called friends.

G.C.

When I was 15 the legal age was 18. Because I had a full beard at 15 I looked a little older than my age and I bet you can tell where I'm going with this. Yep. I was the buyer at age 16 (didn't try before that). I can imagine that if the legal age was 21 I would have had a harder time passing myself off as legal at the age of 16.

I also agree that if we are going to hold persons responsible as adults at the age of 18 then we should completely. Either that or raise the legal age of adulthood to 21. Of course that would affect a lot of non-custodial parents paying child support and criminals that would get by not being tried as adults till they were 21, wouldn't it?

Bob

The arguement of "People are going to do it anyway" never really flew well with me. HOWEVER, at 18 you are considered a legal adult. You can serve your country in the military, have a say in who becomes the next senator, president, local state rep, if you screw up you go to big people jail, etc, etc, etc.

As a legal adult you should be able to buy a 6-pack. I never was for the drinking age being different than 18.

I found it just a little disappointing that as a young man in the Navy, I went on deployment and could buy all the beer I wanted in forign countries. When I came home to the country I was serving, I couldn't get served. There is a problem here.

The military wants to get you before you have a life and have your own mindset for life. That is why they try to get you at 18. You just obey better. Same idea with the voting.

As for drinking I think the only real argument is that they will do it anyways. I would just like to see more rules set for being oblivious to the world while out in public. Other than that, the good kids can have a beer like the rest of us. smile

Well, being right smack dab in the middle of 18 and 21, exactly almost to the day.....I don't really care, by the time it would get changed, I would be 21 anways.....

But being as I am living the college experience right now, I think that lowering the drinking age would have the effect of taking the novelty out of drinking, it just wouldn't be as much fun if it wasn't legal.... But the first few years after the change would probablly increase the drinking in the 18-21 year old group. Also another problem I see is that this would put legal buyers in all of the highschools.

I am not really for or against a drinking age change, I don't think lowering it would help to save lives, but I don't think keeping it the same or even higher would stop people from doing dumb things like drinking and driving or going on a big binge anways.

I've thought this for as long as I could hold a coherent thought in my head (after puberty passed, you know).

If you can legally vote to pick this country's leaders, and those leaders can legally force you into a life-or-death situation (war), you can legally drink.

Yeah, I know all the arguments against lowering the drinking age. They all have merit. But not enough merit IMO. Some consistency and intellectual discipline and honesty should be required to formulate public policy in this country, and those characteristics are absent from the way the drinking age/voting age/war dying age is currently administered.

The really weird one, was in Maryland. You could drink all the 3.2 beer you could hold, but no strong beer or hard liquor. Me...I think I would raise the age to 35. JK.

Garyc...my daughter also would drink, but they got mad at her in college because she would only have one drink if any, and didn't have her drivers license, so she couldn't be the sober driver. My son on the other hand, drank as soon as he was out of the house. Have to beleive that he drank before that, but was smart enough not to let us see or smell it. The good news is he didn't get his drivers license until 28, so no DWIs.

I agree with lowering the drinking age to 18, but not for consistency with voting age. The voting age should be raised to 35.

Right because no one who is younger than the president should be allowed to vote for him....We all need to live with the president and everyone should be allowed to have a say in who it is. Maybe we should raise age requirements for enlisting to 35 then too? Why should people have to put there life on the line for a person they couldn't even chose?

Gimme a break man.

As a parent who has taught a 15 and 19 year old the importance of following the law, I sleep a little better at night trusting that at least the elder won't be driving drunk.

My head isn't completely in the sand, but I know she respects the laws. And as legally allowed, we have let her have a couple drinks under our supervision at home just to help wear off the novelty and curiousity.

I have a hard time with the adult responsibility beginning at 18 but not drinking till 21, but seriously, 18 is NOT a good age to get hooked on it at your leisure. A little "Adult" life experience should be in order before we open the flood gates.

Yes, I drank before I was legal too, but I could never see myself saying "Hey Dad, whatya say I go pick us up a 12 pack." at that age.

The military wants to get you before you have a life and have your own mindset for life. That is why they try to get you at 18.

There is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to begin, so I won't even argue it. Past posts have shown you are anti-military service and that's your option. I guarantee you, however, that by age 18 I had a life, a mindset of my own, responsabilities, morality, and a very clear understanding about what what lies ahead.

If we're going to use the "They will do it anyhoo" arguement, why stop at drinking? What about drinking and driving, drug use, theft, vandilism, etc???

As many have aluded to, I believe its a cultural problem. Too much emphasis placed on drinking, so kids think they have to do it. Heck, adults for that manner too.

I would throw 19 out there as a suggested age. That way its not in high schools. I totally see the serving your country, you should be able to have a beer corollary, but 18 is a risky situation with the high school students IMO.

Right now the culture around alcohol is powering attitudes towards consumption and society, not national or state policy. Little will change without a culture change. Just look at things in Europe. No drinking age, no associated taboos, no huge commercial and societal pressure to drink, and less issues with alcohol. Are there some issues with it in Europe? Absolutely, you won't be able to get rid of everything. But I'd have to say there aren't anywhere near the issues with alcohol there as there are here.

I just never got the whole drinking thing while in college. I might be the only guy in the world that waited until I was 21 to have a drop. And I went catfishng on my 21st, I didn't even go to a bar! I cracked A, ONE, BEER, and that was it. I'm no teetotaler, I do enjoy an adult beverage from time to time, but I don't have to do it to appease my friends. I would hope they would like me for me. I know that's generally viewed as an underage peer-pressure issue, but it is an adult problem too. I can have way more fun without the stuff than with it. I never hunt with it, and only every once in a while do I fish with it. I guess I live my signature line, fish hard or go home.

Originally Posted By: Roofer
The military wants to get you before you have a life and have your own mindset for life. That is why they try to get you at 18.

There is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to begin, so I won't even argue it.

Got THAT right!

I don't know why but when I first heard this idea I thought it was insane to even to suggest lowering the age limit but after listening to your guy's reasoning I'm pretty opened minded about it now.

I still doubt it will ever happen with the political influence or correctness we live in today.

I'm guessing MADD would fight this to the end tooth and nail and we all know how much pull they have!

Lower the drinking age to 18 or raise the age of adulthood to 21.

Great point made about Europe vs the US. You repress something and make it taboo, then it backfires. Weather its sex, drugs or alcohol.

In our society, kids being able to head to the bar after a day in high school just seems wrong.

The age for legal drinking has been at 18 and they changed it to 19 then to 21. It just didn't work out. It may be different in other societies, but in ours teenagers being able to legally drink doesn't work so well.

I understand the adult = legally drink argument, it does make logical sense but maturity plays a part here and that doesn't always follow logic.

I am also one who thinks we put too much emphasis on drinking in our society. If we downplayed it or just didn't make such a big deal about drinking or not drinking it would not be an issue. It is consuming alcohol, supposedly entertainment, relaxation not a life and death issue.

If all the worry is on drinking and driving why not just enforce or upgrade the DWI laws? Personally you get busted 2x you lose you license...PERIOD!! My only fear is this will become a public eduction issue in the high schools and someone (taxpayer) will end up footing the bill for some new program to be created. Or better yet will create and "alternative" school for the drunks.

Drinking and driving are not the only problems that drinking brings us. I am not advocating any thing like prohibition, but there is plenty of irresponsible drinking.

I know this is coming across like I am anti alcohol, I am not, but it is more of just be aware of all the issues involved.

Here is link to some stats about some alcohol related incidents.

Stats