• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To tan a coyote

I have two yote hides from this last season that I would like to get soft tanned. Long story short, my brother-in-law passed away at the young age of 22. When we cleaned out his house I found two yote hides that he had trapped last fall. I thought it would be a good idea to get them both done and Ill keep one and give one to my father-in-law. It would mean alot to him I think. Where have you guys sent them off to to get tanned? I am in Albert Lea, mn. Should I find a local taxidermest? or send it to a commercial place?

I send all my fur to moyle mink and tannery. They are very inexpensive, and do very good work. I have had 5 coyotes tanned there. Heres the HSOforum

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I like doing them myself. I think the ones I do look better hanging on the wall because they are not as stiffer and I think look more natural. Its a little work but for me its worth it. It cost me about $20 to do 2 yotes. If your interested I will post the recipe and the way I do it.

Unless they tatoo your name in the hide beofre tannign, they can put your name on any leather they want. I have gotten hides back that I know were not mine, and knoe another person who had it happen to them. I do not htink it is done to be devious, but just happens. I like to go to taxidermist who do their own tanning now.

Hey Doug, I would really like that recipie and procedure, and I am sure a lot of other people would love to know how to do it as well. I am loading up and looking forward to a few more chances to chase coyotes this winter. Last winter was a bust for me.....

This tanning procedure works for anything, but compensate the amount of ingredients with size of fur. This recipie is for one average yote. I dont scrap all my yote, but I cut as much fat and meat as I can off. Its better if you do scrap.

Step 1. Add 1 pound of canning salt and 12oz alum to plastic container( I use a 30 gallon round container.). Then add 1 1/2 gallon of hot water and stir. Let water cool to about room temp and stri again. Add another 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of cold water and stir.

Step 2. Add fur to water skin side out with something on top of it to keep it down under the water. Let soak for 2-3 days and agitate frequetly. I cut a wire coyote stretcher in half and place it in the head and neck. Its best to use as much of the strether as your container will let you.

Step 3. When done soaking add 2oz of baking soda to a quart of hot water and let it disovle, add the quart of baking soda to container and stir then let set 45 mins.

Step 4. Pull skin out clean with shampoo and rinse both inside and out. Then ring out and dry with hair dryer or air dry both sides.

Step 5. Hold skin under hot water for 30 sec, then use a hair dryer on the skin to heat up more to open up the poors in the skin. Heat tanning oil or neatsfoot oil up in microwave. Hang skin flesh side out 5-8 hours at room temp. It need to start to dry. Then pull on edges of skin until it turns white. After the skins turns white hang for 6-8 hours then tease and flex frquently. More you tease and flex the softer it gets, but I like the fur to be a little stiff because it look better to me.

If you have any questions I will try to answer them and explain any step that needs it.