• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wednesday trout expedition - need input

tom_w

My lovely wife has given me the go ahead for a Wednesday evening trout expedition. I am still somewhat of a beginner, but catching one or two trout for me is a success.

I typically use small panther martn spinners, but I dabble in fly fishing as well.

At any rate, I am thinking of trying down by the Red Wing area. I have to stay somewhat near to the cities (90 minutes). Anyone have any suggestions or warnings about Hay Creek? Is this time of year good for brown trout?

Any input is appreciated.

Tom

Hay creek has fish commonly up to 14 inches. Some 16-17 pop up now and then. Only hooked one bigger than that. Good numbers though. Lots of 6-9 inchers.

There are 3 common sections I have taken. If you are going down the gravel road next to the stream, after you drove through the neighborhood near the school, there is the first road bridge, then the .5 mile walk to the horse trail bridge, and then the second road bridge. I usually just try to find one of those where no one else is parked. That way you get fresh water to fish.

I like to wear socks when I wear waders. The walk back on the gravel road tends to give me blisters on my feet.

You're all set with the panther martin spinners. I use number 0 or 1. Black with yellow dots and gold blade or yellow with red dots and a silver blade are my favorites. Try flipping like you're bass fishing under deep dense brushpiles.

Please, the trout are fragile, wet your hand before you grab the fish. It's less slime for you and more for them.

Leave some for me!

I ended up hitting Trout Brook (caught 2 babies)

Thanks for the tip. I will try Hay sometime. I am very careful with the trout and I never take any home. Plus I don't catch too many.