• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will MN ever allow 2 rods in open water??

goose89

Yes, a limit is a limit.

But as mentioned earlier, when the DNR sets bag limits, they base that number not on the sustainable amount of fish that can be harvested. It is based upon the estimated harvest.

A lot of time and effort and money goes into this and I have confidence that they are making a pretty educated conclusion.

In essence they don’t expect fisherman to reach the limit.

The argument here is that perhaps it will be easier for anglers to actually catch a limit.

In that case, I would trade an extra rod for smaller bag limits.

Funny, I don't get that message from the Dept of Tourism smirk

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Michigan and my wife and her entire family are from Minnesota - I grew up only knowing that you could fish with only two rod's - as I learned how to fish you realize where that is applicable and where it's just a hinderance. I don't understand all these comments about limits, a limit is a limit. I also don't understand the cost issue - why would it cost a MN fisherman more to fish with a second line? that's insane.

Here's the way I grew up with this issue

ice fishing - two lines - one rod for jigging and one tip up if you felt like it

walleye fishing in spring on Erie - one line jigging, I'm not good enough to handle two and expect I can really dial in on what's happening...

Walleye fishing later in summer with planers - two rods each for my wife and I - four releases - easy to handle, alot of fun..

Salmon fishing (on Great Lakes) THREE rods per angler, a group of 4 guys goes out they put out 12 rods!! might sound like a "cluster" but if you know what you're doing with sliders, dipsy's, lead core etc it's alot of fun!!

Anyway, just giving another perspective from a neighboring State - I just don't know why this is such a big issue in MN...

Sorry, it is getting late and I did not want to read all 11 pages but I made it through 6-7. I saw a reoccurring theme in this thread.

Quote:
A limit is a limit , is a limit , is a limit ,

Well that is wrong. Are you telling me every time you go out you catch your limit. If you are I want to know where you are fishing and what methods you are using. grin

What I am saying is that the average walleye fisherman averages 1-2 fish per trip on a average lake. Those numbers are no where near the 6 fish limit. Ok, now throw in a extra rod and you get 3 fish each time. This is going top have a effect on a lot of lakes that do not have a endless supply of walleyes or whatever you are fishing. I do admit that world class fisheries like the St. Croix. and some pools on the MIssissippi would not take a sizable hit. But it is the small no name lakes that are stocked with a few fish or not stacked at all that would feel the brunt of a 2 line law. I understand catfishermen would like the bill because they release 99% of the fish they catch. But I would hate to see our "eatable" fish population take a hit. There is a lot of people out there with the "Let's Eat" way of thinking. I am not saying you can not keep fish as I do keep fish for a meal often. I am saying there are people pounding lakes to stock their freezer. I might not be popular with this view but it is pretty straight forward.

Here in MO we can fish with up to 33 hooks. Now that is mainly for the cat fisher persons. Jugs, Trotlines, Limb lines and such. As for me I do use 2-3 lines crappie fishing, some times. It is hard to use more than 1-2 if they are biting. When walleye fishing It is almost impossible to use more than 1 line. As for limits. I can't remember the last time I caught a limit of "eye's", and I don't want to clean the limit of crappies.I grew up in MN and could never understand why not 2 lines, in fact we just got home from MN and I fished the St. Croix. Paid the ST. of MN. 41$ for a permit, only to catch a 10# carp (great fight) 3# sheephead (ugh), and a 2 # catfish. With only one line. Had a great time on the river. Change the law.

Here in MO we can fish with up to 33 hooks. Now that is mainly for the cat fisher persons. Jugs, Trotlines, Limb lines and such. As for me I do use 2-3 lines crappie fishing, some times. It is hard to use more than 1-2 if they are biting. When walleye fishing It is almost impossible to use more than 1 line. As for limits. I can't remember the last time I caught a limit of "eye's", and I don't want to clean the limit of crappies.I grew up in MN and could never understand why not 2 lines, in fact we just got home from MN and I fished the St. Croix. Paid the ST. of MN. 41$ for a permit, only to catch a 10# carp (great fight) 3# sheephead (ugh), and a 2 # catfish. With only one line. Had a great time on the river. Change the law.

Did someone make you buy the license. If not don't fish here if you don't like it.

might be time to just let this thread pass on. It was running on fumes, but now got reignited and is quickly going nowhere again. Thanks for the replies and good luck.

might be time to just let this thread pass on. It was running on fumes, but now got reignited and is quickly going nowhere again. Thanks for the replies and good luck.

Why? It's been a freindly debate so far. If one doesn't like it, one can always choose to not read it. wink