• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will MN ever allow 2 rods in open water??

goose89

Quote:
If they do legalize the use of the “Bonus Rod” in MN, I do not see it increasing the likely hood of getting the fish to bite anymore than they do with one rod.

So guys if an extra Rod won't catch more fish or effect harvest levels..... Why in the world would you want to use the extra line/Rod? ..LOL...... grin

I do think MN is a major model for the sport of fishing in general and others do look to this state for advice in their affairs.

Awesome no need to mess with the best let's leave it as is then...Thanks Shack!..... grin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome no need to mess with the best let's leave it as is then...Thanks Shack!..... grin

I thought you didn't have an opinion either way wink

Mathematically speaking, of course the probability goes up, however statistics can not factor in when the fish will bite. That figure is unknown. So everything is speculation and opinion.

The other surrounding states seem to be managing it very well. But here in the Land of 10.000 regs we "need to be different".

The other surrounding states seem to be managing it very well. But here in the Land of 10.000 regs we "need to be different".

Shut this thread down because we have our answer and there is no need to debate it further.

----------------------

If they ever allow the use of two lines and they charge an extra fee for it, the revenues generated should be used to build a roof over the state of MN because apparently from what I've been reading the sky is definitely falling.

Holy cow. smirk

Here are my thoughts. The probablity of catch fish is greater. I'm thinking that if i'm on a tournament... lets say on ottertail for walleyes and before we could just use two rods( my dad and I) and were not getting anything to bite. So I put to other rods in the rod holder with two totally different things on and start getting bites. i'm going to switch to those rods that are catching more and thus catch more fish? Thats just my thinking it may not be true I can see on both sides of the debate it would be nice to have 2 rods in some situations and a hassle in others. i think overall more fish would be caught.

Yes, a limit is a limit.

But as mentioned earlier, when the DNR sets bag limits, they base that number not on the sustainable amount of fish that can be harvested. It is based upon the estimated harvest.

A lot of time and effort and money goes into this and I have confidence that they are making a pretty educated conclusion.

In essence they don’t expect fisherman to reach the limit.

The argument here is that perhaps it will be easier for anglers to actually catch a limit.

In that case, I would trade an extra rod for smaller bag limits.

I grew up fishing the Mississippi (border waters) and we always had two rods out. Usually a bobber with some sort of meat for some panfish, or whatever decides to bite it, and another throwing plugs for bass or whatever wants to bite.

In pretty much any other scenario it is more hassle than it is worth.

I grew up fishing the Mississippi (border waters) and we always had two rods out. Usually a bobber with some sort of meat for some panfish, or whatever decides to bite it, and another throwing plugs for bass or whatever wants to bite.

In pretty much any other scenario it is more hassle than it is worth.

I don't know if it's a hassle. Depends what you are used to. I use two all the time on the Croix. I use two as Lindy lines a lot. One with a crawler, one with a leech or minnow. There has been times (few) that I get two fish on. I just had the other rod to another person. If the bite is that hot, I go down to one rod, but I don't have that problem very often. It's not hard to use two rods, keep on in my hand and one as a deadstick. Turning is a little harder, especially for the others in the boat to pick up. Key to it is to stay as vertical as you can. I guess I don't really care cause I mainly fish the Croix and can use my two rods. For the record, I have never gut hooked an eye while using two rods. If you know what you are doing and fish right, you should have no problems.

Okay then. I didn't realize this was gonna go this direction. Should have figured, I guess. I didn't realize this has been hashed and rehash in the recent past.

ME,ME,ME,ME,NOW,NOW,NOW. I resemble that statement, in alot of ways. But not in that I want to use two rods to keep more fish and get my limit faster. I keep a meal or two of crappies each spring, and a walleye or two for a meal in the fall. I'd just like to be able to troll w/ 2 rods. That's it.

I think I should get three lines in the water, it'll be one on my left and one on the right with big bobbers to let all the peeps know, I'm fishing here, please don't cross. Then I can finally crank a rapala without some bonehead dropping a bobber and crossing my cranking path for once. O.o

Okay then. I didn't realize this was gonna go this direction. Should have figured, I guess. I didn't realize this has been hashed and rehash in the recent past.

ME,ME,ME,ME,NOW,NOW,NOW. I resemble that statement, in alot of ways. But not in that I want to use two rods to keep more fish and get my limit faster. I keep a meal or two of crappies each spring, and a walleye or two for a meal in the fall. I'd just like to be able to troll w/ 2 rods. That's it.

Not your fault Goose! if I don't take the bait and respond to the LIMIT is a Limit so it doesn't or won't effect anything angle we get stuck on 5 pages like I predicted...oh well.. grin

Nothing wrong with a lively debate on the topic...again!

Will MN ever allow 2 rods in open water? I really don't know...I can't predict the future except to say this....I'll only use 1 rod 98% of the time regardless. Only time I'd use 2 rods is for trolling cranks when there isn't much traffic out on the lake. That in itself doesn't happen too often (limited traffic).

Not to stray too far off topic, but I'd rather see 4 lines for ice fishing.

Not to stray too far off topic, but I'd rather see 4 lines for ice fishing.

No you didn't just post that... grin... would you be open to lower bag limits in the Winter as a trade off?.... grin

Off to the Hardwater forum we go!..... grin

grin

You probably know me a little PB....I'm fairly laid back when it comes to limits and regs. I'll accept just about whatever the DNR allows, as long as they don't reduce walleyes to under a limit of 2 state-wide. Then I'd have to blow a gasket. grin

I would like to see one word from the DNR -- consistency. Why not the same number of lines in the summer as we have in the winter...whatever that number is, one, two, three...whatever. There's very little sense in saying that "more lines is bad" in the summer but then saying it's all OK in the winter...

I would love to see 2 lines, but I guess I would also love to have a million dollars. Both might take a long time to happen at this pace smile

Or the same number of lines on hard water as soft?

There is a logical reason for 2 through the ice, but I'd like to see harvest numbers of fish open water versus ice fishing. I think perhaps consistency of 1 rod may make most sense.

Darn numbers are just estimations. It is impossible to get hard numbers.

katoguy...

I'm beginning to think that winter harvest numbers are greater than summer harvest numbers when it comes to panfish. Other gamefish, who knows? But I'm guessing people would more than likely keep a decent largemouth that they caught thru the ice vs catching that same fish during the heat of summer? The recent ice fishing boom is starting to have an effect on the resource, no doubt about it.

Two lines in the summer? That'll lead to more fish in my livewell, another no doubter. laugh

There is a logical reason for 2 through the ice, but I'd like to see harvest numbers of fish open water versus ice fishing.

I would too.

I would not be surprised if they are close to equal or even if ice is higher. Seems everyone takes fish home in the winter. smirk

Times have changed and the laws/regs need to keep up with that.

Not only that Now a days we have huge numbers of Winter anglers all decked out and Mobile all with GPS's with map chips, Cameras, and tow behind Fish house's cruising on their Fat Snowmo/wheelers.

No comparison in Winter pressure now to say 10 years ago.