• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will MN ever allow 2 rods in open water??

goose89

Anyone think MN will ever change this law. I personally would accept smaller limits / more slots for being able to have 2 lines in open water, like in winter and like our neighbors already have.

What's your thoughts, insight, opinion??

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could keep the limits the same for all i care or lower them, but 2 poles for trolling would maybe be a little more exciting with boards and the potential for more action.

The other alternative is that the state could make a little more money off the deal, where they offer a 2nd license to be able to use 2nd rod for trolling only. This 2nd license would not however enable the posseser to keep 2 limits, just 1. (in my version anyway)

Pier,

Could you hook me up with the original thread(s) talking about this topic. I tried to search "2 rods" in subject only and got zip. I know I've read a few comments on this in the past, but couldn't find anything back. Don't mean to rehash something if there's already alot on it. Please guide me to previous post. Thanks in advance.

In my opinion - two rods is kind of like two wives. It might be nice but in the end I have enough problems handling just 1. I've got no issues though if you want to have two (lines that is..). Paul

I limit is a limit. Hopefully you would actually get one with two rods.

Heck as far as that goes, it shouldn't matter if you used 10 rods because as I said, a limit is a limit. It shouldn't matter how many rods you use to get there.

It could even help out the economy; look at all the extra rods & reels that could be sold grin

I'm all for it. Like Adan Corolla used to say all the time "Its a slippery slope." Came close this year, probably will happen next year. It will help level the playing field for all those tourists trying to decide between spending their big bucks fishing Wisconsin or Minnesota.

But my concern with the bill that failed this year is that there was an extra charge on your license. What would happen with all those of us that have life time licenses? Would be required to pay the extra charge for the extra line for a lifetime?

Why should anyone have to pay more. I thought they were trying to get more folks into fishing as they are hurting on license rev now. How about opening to two lines and give youngsters and first timers more chances at fish? A limit will still be a limit.

I get so sick of the land of 10,000 fees.

Why should anyone have to pay more. I thought they were trying to get more folks into fishing as they are hurting on license rev now. How about opening to two lines and give youngsters and first timers more chances at fish? A limit will still be a limit.

I get so sick of the land of 10,000 fees.

Why would we want more people fishing? The lakes are overfished as it is. Not to mention all of the boating rage I read about on here.

Also, less people fishing means less stocking required.

I wasn't saying I personally wanted more out fishing, though I think younger people would turn out better if they were out hunting and fishing rather than playing vid games. I'm just saying if they want to add fees, why would they when they complain there already isn't enough people fishing.

I doubt it will get passed next year, simply because I'm assuming the same people who shut it down this year will shut it down again next year if it even gets proposed.

Will it happen eventually? I think so, there's a lot of people who are in favor of it. Will it put more pressure on the fish populations? Of course it will, more people will be able to hit limits than before. If this does get passed, I think we will see an immediate reduction in limits, or perhaps a reduction the following year.

The biggest concern, at least for fishing pressure, is for walleye I think. Walleye are the least CPRed fish in this state, and one who would benefit more from passing a 2 line law. Catfish are almost exclusively CPRed (from my limited experience listening to people who catfish at least) in this state, same with musky. Bass are less 2-line friendly to fish for. Northerns are CPRed alot, but also a number are kept for the dinner table, and I know there's a number of people who would love to drop a sucker under a bobber while casting a lure around.

I have fished multiple lines before out in salt water and it really isn't a hassle at all, of course it was the kind of fishing where you let your bait sit until something hungry decides it looks tasty. If it was passed, I doubt I would use 2 lines very often.