• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When did your Brittany quit growing?

Big Dave2

Mine is almost a year old and she is still very small. I think that is just the way she is going to be. I think she quit growing a while ago already. Anyone have one sprout up after they turned a year?

My male brittany quit growing right around the age of 1. He did fill in a bunch over the next 2 or so years. But I don't think he ever grew any taller or longer after that. He turns 4 in about a week or so, and he weighs 42 lbs. That weigh fluctuates quite a bit, depending on the season. He puts on the pounds once January hits and hunting ends, and slowly loses the extra couple of pounds over the summer. By the hunting season, he is sculpted by daily runs/rollerblading. Not an ounce of fat, and muscular as can be. I think it also helps to build up the bottom of his feet as he hunts all fall and has never cut a foot yet.

Between 8 months and a year. In recent years breeders have been breeding bigger Brits that push the limits of the standard. However, there are still plenty of blood lines that run on the smaller compact size. Check the sire and grandsire size and you should get a good feel for how big your dog will get. Mine is 8 months old and will not be as tall as my last Brit(38-39lbs)he will be 34-35lbs and smaller which is what I wanted.

I know mine is not a brit, but a springer and she is 10 months old and is only 27lbs. She has been this way since April-may. I think that is going to be it. She may break 30lbs when she fills in, but i dont see a height change at all.

I have two Brittanys, male and female from same parents,

two years apart. The female is very small about 30 pounds and

the male is 42 pounds. No fat on either dogs. Both stop growing at less than 12 months as I recall. Looking forward to bird season coming up. I am looking for one last run on the

red birds this year. Good luck to all.

Great post that I would like to add to-First my Brittany Luke runs 45- 40lbs and 23.5inches foot to shoulder and will be 4 on Sept 5th. He started hunting Quail in AZ and did a great job pointing, holding point, and retrieving. We moved to Mn and this will be his third season hunting pheasants, and so far so good. He continues to impress me almost every time we go out hunting, but there is one change that I really haven’t worked to correct yet, he wont retrieve like he used to I would say one out of every 5 birds he will retrieve maybe they are just to big:{. Brits hunt close so he always gets the birds and won’t let them get away; maybe I enable him because I am always running to help him out making sure we always get the roster? Another question would be when and if it comes time for another dog would it be a Brittany or would you try another breed. I have two very young kids so the dog would have to be very friendly like Luke.