• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

most disguesting food you have ever eaten?

CALVINIST

For me it was giblets n gravy on rice, now that is what I call snot rockets. We were pretty poor, so mom had to make do with what she had and giblets (chicken gizzards) were only ten cents a pound. My mom was a great cook, and could bake up a storm if she had the goods.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta think a few mouthfuls of "head cheese" when I was a kid and also blood sausage!...."head cheese"geletinous mass of chunks of a pigs head(and whatever else is in the stuff not really sure)...my grandmother loved the stuff!(she's been dead for 43 years god rest her soul)...man those old timers really ate weird...old country stuff no doubt!...she conned me into eating "head cheese' and "blood sausage" as a kid!...I watched a guy at local meat plant here in Hibbing(Fraboni's) make blood sausage back in the 70's...owner of the meat company had 55 gallons of blood from a pig and was stirring it with a paddle so it wouldn't "clot"...then he said he would add rice to the slimy glop and spices(mainly nutmeg I think)...that was the end of my blood sausage eating days...Lol! grin.....

Jonny you gave me a good laugh this morning. I forgot about blood sausage but that was only served at the grandparents who were both full blooded Germans who still talked to there friends in german when ever they chatted. I did try it ONCE. Head cheese NEVER.

Well, I was goose hunting in North Dakota with some family and friends and we went to this bar. I will let the image say the rest. I will never try them again!

DSCN1055.jpg

what's the pic of? I'm from ND and the pic isn't coming up for me and I am very interested...

Sandnannd, Spoken like a true North Dakotan! I have seen head cheese but never made the leap. Where in North Dakota are you from?

I'm from Bismarck, moved out here in 2000. Still like it back there. Hated it when I lived there, but now I wouldn't mind moving back. Miss the quite of ND, not so much the cold though.

Anyone ever tried Tiger Meat? Got it at butchers out there. It's raw hamber with seasoning and is cured. Put it on crackers. That's tastey too.

BigWade, It is a tee shirt from a bar in Upham North Dakota. They had a rocky mountain oyster feed every year. I was persuded to try one. The old saying that everything deep fried is good is not true in this case.

Upham -- holy smokes great waterfowling up there, but serisouly they aren't that bad, I went to college in Dickinson and had a bunch of friends that were from Montana and had ranches. Went out and helped them do the brandings and have them fresh over an open fire, not too bad, but then again, beer helps wash most things away

Originally Posted By: SkitterPopper
Sandnannd, Spoken like a true North Dakotan! I have seen head cheese but never made the leap. Where in North Dakota are you from?

I'm from Bismarck, moved out here in 2000. Still like it back there. Hated it when I lived there, but now I wouldn't mind moving back. Miss the quite of ND, not so much the cold though.

Anyone ever tried Tiger Meat? Got it at butchers out there. It's raw hamber with seasoning and is cured. Put it on crackers. That's tastey too.

Tried it once, wasn't too bad

Quote:
Upham -- holy smokes great waterfowling up there

You are correct. My grandfather lives only 15 miles from the J Clark Sawyer refuge. I could sit up there all day without a gun and just watch in awe as the thousands of ducks and geese come off the water every morning. But of course the gun makes it so much more fun. grin

Oh, that reminds me of the one time I went to have sushi with a friend and they were eating those GROSS pink shrimps that kind of LOOK at you while you eat them. So I was desperately trying not to look at them eating, and in the end they convinced me to have one myself, saying it was delicious and I really should try. So I took a tiny bite … and spit it out.

I don't know if you would call it food, but I ate a leech once...didn't chew it, just popped it in and swallowed it on a bet. Drank a beer real fast just to make sure it was kilt...that probaby explains why I ate it in the first place...the beer that is.

Ate a baby octopus...nasty looking little critter, looked like a hairless boiled spider, a tarantula...didn't think it tasted very good either!

Some say that lutefisk is nasty, I thought it was okay...I was with a bunch of Norskies, had to say it was okay or risk a beating. grin

I don't know if you would call it food, but I ate a leech once...didn't chew it, just popped it in and swallowed it on a bet.

Dirty jobs was up in Northern MN with a leech harvester. They fileted them, battered and deep fried those little buggers. Mike actually like 'em!

I'd have to say Cows Tongue. Tasted alright, but couldn't get past the fact that I was tasting something that could taste me back crazy

In 10th grade chemistry, we were putting live fatheads in liquid nitrogen.

Well, a buddy bet me $10 I wouldn't eat a fathead, so I went up, got one, bit it in 1/2, with the guts trailing out (right in front of the whole class) and continued to eat it.

Yes, it was still alive.

I'd have to say Cows Tongue. Tasted alright, but couldn't get past the fact that I was tasting something that could taste me back crazy

That's funny!!!

My wife was raise on a farm and came from a big family. When they butchered a cow, they ate the whole thing including making blood sausage (still haven't tried that) and tongue and you're right, it wasn't too bad.

I've tried Lutefisk, (lousy thing to do to a Cod), calf fries, (another name for Rocky Mountain Oysters), and a pretty fair share of other things mentioned here.

The most awful things I have eaten were pickled pigs feet, Oyster Stew, (I love clam chowder), and fish in France called cold, red mullet. After two weeks in France I believe the french can certainly cook, just so ling as it doesn't involve fish.

I was in the Philippines for a for a couple weeks. These people eat some strange stuff sick Most of it I just watched them eat, but one after noon I was taken out for dinner and they ordered in their language so I didn't have a clue as to what I was eating til after the meal. Most of it was pretty straight forward, fried oysters, grilled swordfish, but there was two that were a little off the normal chart, one was fried pigs ears(actually pretty good) and something else that they wouldn't even tell me what I was eating, edible but I can only imagine what the fed me crazy