• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Over Heating

Biggerfish

I have a 2000 polaris 325cc wheeler that is air cooled. If I drive it for more than 10 minutes or so the nutural/rev lights on the bars do not work and if I turn it off it will not start until it cools down for a hour or so? Is there a sensor that is bad that is causing this or is it really overheating?

Thanks in advance for your advice....

is your fan running? if your fan is not running, your radiator temp sensor is not working. thats what controls the fan. the sensor in the head is the one that reads motor temp, and switches on the hot light. so then your definitely running hot.

make sure you dont have any debri or anything in or around the fan, and make sure your radiotor isnt covered with anything

it could be as simple as a bad sensor as well, you could try buying a thermostat for it at an auto parts store and see if you really are running hot

if that doesnt work, check your sensors. short the one on the radiator by putting a screwdriver between the 2 terminals. that should make the fan come on. on the sensor on the head run a wire from the brass pin that has no terminal on it to ground to make sure your dummy light is working too. that has nothing to do with the fan but while your at it it's nice to know it all works

You may have a remote oil cooler. If so,check it to make sure it isn't plugged up with mud etc. It will look like a small radiator. Other wise check to make sure your temp sensor is working correctly.

I had a similar problem, I have a 2000 xplorer 250 w/fan. Great little machine...anyway, mine ran really hot then I noticed that the fan didn't kick on. the shop manual says that the temp. sensor should come on at about 205 degrees. my motor would get above that and no fan. I diagnosed that there was power to the fan when the motor got hot. I ended up taking the fan apart and fixing it. Polaris wanted $200+ for a new fan....no way.

if you have a 325 there should be some kind of fan. it should be right in front of the motor below the steering shaft. I would check for power to the fan. if there is, a simple and cheap fix would be to bypass the temp. sensor with a switch, when you think the motor is getting hot, flip the switch, when its cooled down, turn it off. if your trail riding and there is enough air movement past the motor, you probably don't need the fan, but slow off roading, hit the fan on.

I have a 250 explorer also and I nottice that the clutch blower tube that comes comes off the clutch was pluged from mice so I would see if thats full off junk

I had a similar problem, I have a 2000 xplorer 250 w/fan. Great little machine...anyway, mine ran really hot then I noticed that the fan didn't kick on. the shop manual says that the temp. sensor should come on at about 205 degrees. my motor would get above that and no fan. I diagnosed that there was power to the fan when the motor got hot. I ended up taking the fan apart and fixing it. Polaris wanted $200+ for a new fan....no way.

if you have a 325 there should be some kind of fan. it should be right in front of the motor below the steering shaft. I would check for power to the fan. if there is, a simple and cheap fix would be to bypass the temp. sensor with a switch, when you think the motor is getting hot, flip the switch, when its cooled down, turn it off. if your trail riding and there is enough air movement past the motor, you probably don't need the fan, but slow off roading, hit the fan on.

Thanks for the help.

Was the fan that was not tripping on...

For now I just wired it to the battery. Is there any potential damage that could be done if I just let it run all the time when I am driving it? I know the life of the fan will go down...but the performance should not be affected ? Correct?

Thanks again

Also consider changing your oil and go to a synthetic like amsoil ow-40 . It's good for the cold and also heat for year round use .As soon as I hear my fan coming on often and my rad is clean I know an oil change is overdue .

TD