• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Curado 200E

Craigums

When does the new curado come out I was thinking about picking one up because I currently have a citica and am very happy with it. One thing I noticed though was on the cabela's site it got a poor review by a person here is what they said....

warning, it's plastic inside., August 11, 2008

By littles2 from ontario

"it works, like any reel should when it's new, but I have no doubt that its flakeyness will become evident with age. After using a promotional model for a while, i opened it up to find the inside plate is plastic like those used in cheap sub $100 reels. I could never recommend this reel to somebody in good conscience knowing it will cost nearly $200 and it's plastic inside. Those who used plastic framed/side reels in the past know exactly why it's not used in top shelf reels. body flex!"

Now obviously you should take someone's review of a product with a grain of salt and do your research so thats what i'm doing.

Deitz I know your on the Shimano prostaff and may have even gotten a chance to look at and use the new curado. could you elaborate any? Like I mentioned I have the citica now and could only imagine the new curado would be an upgrade over that.

Thanks!

~CP

The new Curado E's will have an aluminum frame with graphite side plates. Don't know where the reviewer got his info, but I was just looking at another site with a run down of all the great stuff from ICAST and the Curado was up there in the best of show categories. They are using the graphite side plates to keep the weight down, the new ones are over 2 oz lighter than the Curado D's. I will take a graphite side plate over aluminum if it means cutting out that much weight. They even added another bearing in the new E series where the old D's had a plastic bushing, just another step smoother.

I have a couple of the older Curados and if I buy any more bass casting reels, they will surely be Green and have Shimano on the side of em.

And....Do you really think Shimano would put out a sub-par version of one of the most popular reels of all time? Not a snowballs chance in you know where.

And....Do you really think Shimano would put out a sub-par version of one of the most popular reels of all time? Not a snowballs chance in you know where.

Ya know polar that's kinda what I was thinking. Wonder what that guy was smokin'

I think that review is a mistaken Crestfire for a Curado.

There are no such promotional models available. And someone who doesn't know graphite from aluminum metal...LOL's is gonna know it even better from looking at the insides. Hmmm, I see six plastic thingy - it's all plastic!

Cabela's is showing that they have the CU200E5 in. Nothing on the CU200E7. I'm still awaiting the 300E model to become avail.

The 300 should be able to handle some light musky duty, making the perfect reel for small to medium swim baits and or medium sized bucks for skies. E5 and E7 are gear ratio, the regular E's are 6.3 I believe. But yeah, 200E to 300E is a bit bigger reel and more line capacity.

Versitile big bait combo would be 300E5 teamed up with a 8'-0" Compre H/F. (Its on my wish list.)

The old 6.3 gear of the old Curado D is gone. We now only have the 200E5 for 5.0 gear power version and the 200E7 for 7.0 gear high speed version.

I believe the 300E keeps the old gear ratio of the old Curado 300. The 300E has bigger spool and bigger HEG gear and 15# drag as oppose to the 11# 200E7 and 12# drag on 200E5.

Cabelas catalog had an availability date of Sept 15th on it, but that was a couple weeks ago I received that in the mail.

The 300 is still the 6.2:1 ratio. I love the reel, great for the mid-range baits and also for the line pick up with a topwater. I switched it over to the topwater rod and was working a 10" WTD muskie bait with ease.

When does the new curado come out I was thinking about picking one up because I currently have a citica and am very happy with it. One thing I noticed though was on the cabela's site it got a poor review by a person here is what they said....

warning, it's plastic inside., August 11, 2008

By littles2 from ontario

"it works, like any reel should when it's new, but I have no doubt that its flakeyness will become evident with age. After using a promotional model for a while, i opened it up to find the inside plate is plastic like those used in cheap sub $100 reels. I could never recommend this reel to somebody in good conscience knowing it will cost nearly $200 and it's plastic inside. Those who used plastic framed/side reels in the past know exactly why it's not used in top shelf reels. body flex!"

Now obviously you should take someone's review of a product with a grain of salt and do your research so thats what i'm doing.

Deitz I know your on the Shimano prostaff and may have even gotten a chance to look at and use the new curado. could you elaborate any? Like I mentioned I have the citica now and could only imagine the new curado would be an upgrade over that.

Thanks!

~CP

Oh I get it now...It was a promotional plastic model. It's made to look and operate like the real thing, but is made of plastics inside only. It's the, "Do not sell - display model only."

I can't read Japanese either...

I can't help but ROTFLMAOMA! LMAO!

The new Curado is now available at Thorne Bros in Fridley, MN.

Comes in two models... a 5 to 1 and a 7 to 1. Both are size 100 frames but 200 size spool capacity. Very nice reels for the price in my opinion... $20 cheaper than last years Curado.

Two have already found their way into my line-up smile

I put a 7 to 1 on my spinnerbait rod (I might have to slow down a bit on occasion wink ) and I put another 7 to 1 on my all-purpose rod. So far so good. Very nice reel for the price, very tough to beat that price point for any other brand in my opinion... you get a lot for what you pay for. $20 less than last year's Curado and a better reel this reel, I like that... smilesmilesmile

I am really suprised that they did not come out with a 6:1 option for the Curado. Seems to provide more flexibilty for fishing for those that can't have both.

Recently purchased a 7:1 Revo and I find that it just is hard to work certain lures (e.g. colorado blade spinners, deeper cranks, etc) Requires that you get other combo's for these applications. Others may not have a problem with this.

It's great to see the improved pricing. IMO the Abu Revo's and possibly some of the Pfluger options seem to compete pretty well with the Curado's at this price point. As far as weight, the new Curado has a bit of an edge of the others at this price point.